Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Horse and Field Artillery Research Guide

David Porter

As it is a New Year and this is my 2000th post, I thought I'd give some people something to look forward to. Over many years I have attempted a thorough study of the Royal Horse and Field Artillery organization during WW1. By no means complete, but pretty comprehensive, I have decided my research should be published and shared for those interested. I have chapters covering a variety of subjects, but the main object was to look at formations and the numbering of men. I have drawn together information already encountered in books such as the Order of Battle of Divisions, Parts 1 - 4 (Major A. F. Becke); Lineage Book of British Land Forces, 1660 - 1978 (J. B. M. Frederick); and History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Western Front, and The Forgotten Fronts and the Home Base (General Sir Martin Farndale). Beyond what is left in War Diaries, the formation of units and period of training prior to embarkation is largely inaccessible, the same goes for the many Home-based units. Likewise, the allocation of numbering to the men has had to be methodically worked out to aid tracing an individual. For the first time, these aspects are combined in a wide-ranging reference work.

The chapters I have in preparation are as follows:

1 - The Pre-War Regular numbering sequence; Pre-War Depots; The Special Reserve, their affiliation and how they were numbered; RHA batteries existing in August 1914 and location; RFA batteries existing in August 1914 and location; Brigade Groupings (Cavalry and first 8 Divisions).
2 - Divisional movements of the 1914 B.E.F. artillery; Proposed New Armies K1, K2 and K3; Formation of 27th, 28th, and 29th Divisions; New Army battery and brigade designations (46th - 117th Brigades RFA); Overview of numbering of New Army recruits; Proposed New Army K4; 146th and 147th Brigades RFA; The Welsh Army Corps and unique numbering; Local "Pals" Artillery Brigades for new K4 and K5 and unique numbering.
3 - New Army formations, training and movements (9th - 26th Divisions less 16th Division); Formation of 118th, 127th - 134th Howitzer Brigades RFA.
4 - New Army "Pals" Brigades formations, training and movements (30th - 41st Divisions plus 16th Division); 191st Brigade RFA
5 - The Territorial Force, initial constitution and administration; TF Record Offices: The Imperial Service Obligation; Raising of Divisional Ammunition Columns; Instructions affecting the TF Divisions at Home.
6 - Territorial Force formations, training and movements (42nd - 50th Divisions and their 2nd Lines).
7 - Territorial Force formations, training and movements (51st - 56th Divisions and their 2nd Lines); 71st - 73rd Division.
8 - Divisional Artillery Changes during the war; Ammunition Sub Parks; Small Arms Ammunition Columns; Trench Mortar Batteries; Army Field Artillery Brigades and other new formations.
9 - Anti Aircraft Sections; High Numbered Batteries (369th onwards) formation and distribution; Provisional Batteries.
10 - Depots and Reserve Brigades; Territorial Force Artillery Training Schools (3rd Lines); Army Artillery Schools (also signalling and trench mortar); Command Depots; Base Depots; Army Reserve classes; Y Scheme; Block Transfers to other Corps.
11 - War Establishments; Units in existence at the date of Armistice and their origin (Regular). 
12 - Units in existence at the date of Armistice and their origin (Territorial Force); Demobilization and Re-enlistment.
13 - British Armies of Occupation; Post War Units and changes, Indian Divisions
Appendices - New Army Recruits Syllabus; Derby Scheme Groupings; Medical Categories; Ammunition Codes; 1914 and 1915 Theatre of War dates by unit
Listings - Full breakdown of the Regimental Numbering 1914 - 1920 (Regular) with location and date range; Full breakdown of the New Army "Pals" Brigades numbering (L Prefix numbers) with location and date range; Full breakdown of the Territorial Force Renumbering (not as straightforward as one thinks!).

For almost every man you should have a clue as to when and where he joined (from mid 1914). For almost every unit formed you should be able to trace some history prior to that in its War Diary. I've given locations for Home billets, tented or hutted camps plus names of ships used to move overseas, if known. However, what is not included is the action that followed, which is beyond the scope of the book. It is looking like around 400 - 500 pages crammed full of facts, but, due to the nature of the subject, is prone to some repetition in order that the reader can get their bearings. I will add to this thread when nearing completion to give a better idea of release date and price. In the meantime, I welcome comments and observations.  

David

This will be an excellent guide to the Royal Artillery during the Great War.

Appreciate the hard work involved tracking an organisation that grew from nearly 80 batteries in 1914, to 1,200 by 1918. All of the information together with the potted histories will make this a valuable contribution to the Gunners history.

Good luck with the endeavour.

Ian

• 11 months later...

Well. what a difference 2020 made. As lockdown provided free access to War Diaries at the National Archives, I have been able to add more than expected and will continue to do so. I've also decided to make it into two volumes, split after Chapter 7 (which I think will now include the Indian Divisions). Apologies to anyone who expected an imminent release but I have only one shot at getting this done to my satisfaction. What I will say is that I'm a lot closer to a finished product. I've made an attempt at the new numbering that was given to the Royal Field Reserve Artillery in 1909. I've also expanded several sections regarding Anti-Aircraft batteries, Transfers to other Corps, and Armies of Occupation. Only Chapter 5 (which was modified in August) has not been changed during the month of December. Three chapters were changed yesterday whilst going through some Corps diaries. This tinkering will have to stop at some point so I can at least get Volume 1 out of the way. In the meantime, if anyone has a copyright free artillery photo (RHA or RFA only) which can go on the cover of Volume 2, I'd be pleased to hear from them. Happy New Year to you all.