Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medals to Norfolk Regiment?

BabaAndrew

I would be most grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction to information on recipients of the Military Medal in the Norfolk Regiment during WW1 ?

Any help shall be greatly appreciated!

I don't think there is an appendix covering these in the “The History of the Norfolk Regiment 1685 – 1918: Vol. II” by F. Loraine Petre, O.B.E. but it's a couple of years now since I last saw a copy. I think there is a total number of awards by honour but as it wasn't broken down by Battalion let alone name I didn't see any value in taking any more of the details. I suspect it also included men who were attached to other units at the time they carried out the deeds for which they received the Military Medal.

The official citations were long ago destroyed and many simply are now unknown. They don't seem to have been officially published at the time and even when local newspapers report them they have simply picked up on the award being published in the London Gazette.

Is there anyone in particular that you are looking for because it may simply be  case of looking on a case by case basis.

Cheers,

Peter

there is a thead on the british medal forum   -  a great resource

https://britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53195&hilit=military+medal

Edited by Coldstreamer