Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Duke of Wellington (West Riding) - Possible ID?

Alan24

Whilst reading the 1915 War Diary of the 1/6th Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment (WO/95/2801/1) for other purposes, I noticed that there were quite a few burials noted with map references. 

Out of interest I thought I'd compare some of the references with current information on the CWGC website. One interesting observation came to light. At this stage nowhere near enough information for CWGC to consider but interesting nonetheless and maybe worthy of further investigation later. 

29th April 1915, Privates T Critcheson (1958) and F Pickles (3061) were killed by a shell and buried together at Sht 36.H26.b.8.3. 

Pickles came off worst and has no known grave but Critcheson does have a known grave at RUE-DU-BOIS MILITARY CEMETERY, FLEURBAIX.

Critcheson has, alongside him, a whole row of unknowns (F15 to F28). All but one of these unknowns has a regiment assigned which is not the Duke's West Riding Regiment. 

The one who lays directly next to Critcheson is unidentified in all ways. 

What if that man at Plot 2 F14 is Fred Pickles? The state of his injuries would explain the lack of any identification.

Whilst the original burial was at 36.H26.b.8.3. and the final burial is at 36.N2.d.3.9. no grave concentration record is shown/available on the CWGC site. This may give extra detail if it exists.

Just to put a fly in the ointment, there maybe other unknowns in F10 F11 & F12 on the other side of Critcheson but I have no idea if these are assigned to regiments or not.

What do others think?

Regards

Alan.

16 cwgc.JPG

16 WD 29 apr.JPG

16 map.JPG

16 cem.JPG

3 hours ago, dickaren said:

The graves F7-F12 are all unknowns without regimental ID  

Thanks Dickaren, that muddies the water a bit.

Alan

23 minutes ago, LDT006 said:

There are concentration of graves documents for that cemetery; ex:

http://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/doc/doc2040795.JPG

I cant find one closer to 2F13, you could ask CWGC if they have something more.

Thanks LDT,

That example shows Rue David at 36.N34.d.8.8 rather than Rue Du Bois 36.N2.d.3.9, is that the correct cemetery?

Or is Rue David where they were concentrated from?

Alan

Edited by Alan24

15 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

That example shows Rue David at 36.N34.d.8.8 rather than Rue Du Bois 36.N2.d.3.9, is that the correct cemetery?

Or is Rue David where they were concentrated from?

Sorry, the example is wrong. I have confused the 2 cemeteries. Everything else was correct:

The cemetery description says that it were concentration graves, so you could still ask CWGC if they have something.

Luc.