Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Borders?

Neill Gilhooley

Hello, I've had a fruitless search for this location, it is the sort of industrial site that will have been swept away a long time ago, I suspect.

5-19.jpg.ac5a547b0877115dacaa7b66ca5092d6.jpg

3/9th Royal Scots were formed at Peebles, moved to Selkirk, then later to Stobs and Catterick. It may not be any of those places of course.

Selkirk is possible though, with the industry near the Ettrick and the slope of the hill. They are crossing a bridge, though it looks too overgrown for a railway, so perhaps a burn. But, I have also found myself getting lost (on Streetview) in Peebles and Hawick.

Any thoughts?

No idea, perhaps the photographer's reference, or perhaps at a stretch, recruits company, though 45 means nothing to me.

The relative locations of the two mills, front right and back left are distinctive, but I can't make it match anything on the 25 inch maps of Peeble or Selkirk. I wonder if the bridge is over a mill leat?

RM

My guess (and only a guess) given the mills and the hills is Galashiels. Can't find anything definitive. Yet.

Yes, I was thinking Galashiels or Hawick 

I've lived in the Borders for most of my life and know all the towns really well. The mills with the rising hill in the background appear just right but, as you say, many of the mill buildings have gone. I've taken to examining old large-scale maps of Gala, Hawick, Selkirk, Innerleithen, Walkerburn and Peebles but drawn a blank. Frustrating with what appears to be a substantial bridge there. I'll attach the address of the map search site in case anyone else wants to try their hand.

Ian

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=5&lat=56.0000&lon=-4.0000&layers=102&b=1&z=1&point=0,0

Just had a rare brainwave - the 'RC' in the bottom right hand corner almost certainly indicates Robert Clapperton a prolific Selkirk photographer.

Ian

Is that not a railway station left background?

Just now, seaJane said:

Is that not a railway station left background?

Could be...

I've had a response to feelers I've put out. 

Selkirk station.jpg

Google Image tells me that's Selkirk Station.

courtesy NLS

562784523_GWFSelkirkStation.JPG.da8cb1c3c4de48ac9a5db38bed94ca61.JPG

Selkirk station c 1900. Photo taken lower end of Station Street. Bridge is over the old Mill Lade which disappears under some of the buildings.

Out of curiosity I followed this thread because of ancestors close by !

Edited by charlie962

It looks like that sunken bit under the bridge, just to the right of the D of RD, is still there today -but not much else !

from googleearth

1776856348_GWFSelkirkStation2.JPG.8bb6708241aa2bebc0fa174c59aef3e4.JPG

Lovely stuff. I think they may well be marching away from Selkirk Station. As Charlie962 points out, unrecognisable today.

Ian

Tremendous work, clever indeed, a sort of industrial archaeology. 

I remember seeing chimney stacks on Station St on Canmore.

Thank you all, excellent evidence gathered together.

Here it is on the 25 Inch to 1 Mile map, courtesy of the National Library of Scotland:

Selkirk.jpg.5f3e03ba3944a4578a50219286b2d493.jpg

RM