Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returns to Divisional H.Q.

Dave66

Picked up a small booklet, “46th North Midland Division Standing Orders (War)” from Sept 1916.

There is a single appendix pinned to the rear page showing the deadlines for returns to divisional headquarters, 

Just thought it may be of interest to someone researching this division.

Dave.

8F10478A-4772-4D49-BC15-BB725337EF63.jpeg

Edited by Dave66

I knew most things were administered on a regular basis and varying frequency, the thing that struck me was the precise deadlines for submitting the returns.

Its always nice to find these little snippets in period publications and manuals that are so often lost.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

11 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Thank you. Most interesting. One wonders if these were standard across the army, or a Div. decision.

I have read reports that suggest that when divisions were transferred between Armies, there were complaints that they had to comply with a different set of orders regarding returns, so there clearly wasn't a France-wide standard series. Some returns were laid down in Field Service Regulations, but not all. In each case, Divisional orders would have to take note of the requirements of their Corps, which again might not be standard.

I do sometimes wonder if the strength returns - fighting, trench and ration - could not have been combined into one, especially as they all had to be submitted at the same time and day!

Ron

I thought I’d add the original appendix 1 for context, 

I know cameras in the British frontline were not officially allowed, but never knew about the monthly certificate that no cameras were in possession.

Dave.

7907208A-6EC7-4469-829F-A0ED41C355C6.jpeg

EAC423F6-925C-48CA-84C9-7FDA79F2507F.jpeg

Edited by Dave66
Added photo.