Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Sleeping Bag

Hello'

Looking for some information on this sleeping bag that was found inside a wolsely pattern valise. The valise is named to an H. N. Bingham, H.A.M.T. which I am told was with 6th battalion Essex Regiment, Territorial Force and stands for Heavy Artillery Motor Transport. 

Having found the sleeping bag in that context, I am reasonably sure of its vintage, use, and country of origin. I would like to know more about the bag and am trying to track down the manufacturer, I am hoping someone here recognizes the Logo that iis stitched into the inner body of the bag.

The Logo reads "Interlined" at the top, "Fleece" at the bottom amd stylized lettering in the field that appear to be P E R C O or something close.

The valise was largely trashed, separation at all of the panels, but it apparently held together well enough to protect the sleeping bag within. It is quilted khaki linen or cotton with an integral pillow that snaps into the body of the bag for stowage. It has a side opening with three buttons for closure similar to that of the Jaeger bag. The insulation inside the quilted bag is a batting that is possibly the "fleece" noted in the logo, probably similar to Burberry liners, and a layer of feathers between that batting and the linen. I suspect it is a high end item as there is more stitching that would be required ro this application, something I am sure added to the cost and was done for decorative purposes rather than any utilitarian purpose.

U would very much like to know the name of the manufacturer so as to track down some period adverts and/or catalogs to learn more about its construction and hsotry.

Thanls!

KV

KIMG1949_crop.jpg

KIMG1950.jpg

KIMG1951.jpg

KIMG1956.jpg

KIMG1959.jpg

It looks like quite a luxurious item and not something the ordinary infantryman would have or could afford.

HAMT -Heavy Artillery Mechanical Transport, were ASC, but were the MT units that accompanied RGA Brigades/batteries/HA Groups in their journey to go abroad. They are usually numbered ,for example my grandfather was in 154 HAMT and went over to France in February 1917. There seems to be a fairly direct link in that higher numbered HAMTs went over later, lower numbered were earlier. The HAMTs seem to cease functioning when they arrive in France, and the men allocated to ASC  Companies,  with many attached to Siege Batteries. HAMTs didn't leave much evidence after them, they left no war diaries, so their exact role, formation, structure and history has to be guessed at.

I'd also guess that if this bag is a Great War item, then it would be a private purchase item belonging to an officer.

So, search the medal rolls or Discovery at the National Archive initially for an ASC officer of that name.

Edit :

Here he is: 2/Lt. Harvey Nelson Bingham ASC

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1168655

His Medal Index Card

(Mis-transcribed as 'Harney' on Ancestry). Started his war as a Private, ended up a Lieutenant. Good lad.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

He might be Canadian, 1880-1949.

There's a US Patent filed by a man of that name in 1921 for an endless track drive system.

Possibly  inspired by what he may have seen on tanks and caterpillar tractors in the ASC?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

7 minutes ago, Sargevining said:

Thanks for the replies! They will help.

Does anyone recognize the Logo and company that manufactured this bag?

No.

But the fact he might be Canadian might lead your searches in that direction.

I get the impression from Googling that down/fleece sleeping bags were a necessity for pioneering types in the Rockies provinces of Canada.