Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No. 681755 Sergeant Frank Thomas

wmfinch

Hello All,

I'm researching the men who died whilst serving with D/276 Battery, 55th West Lancashire Division and have almost exhausted all avenues.

For some reason, I cannot find a pension card or any other pension details for Sergeant Frank Thomas who came from Birkenhead.

Is there a reason for this please?

Also, if anyone knows any descendants, please PM me (a long shot I know).

With grateful thanks,

Wayne

image.jpeg

CWGC only refers to his parents so assume unmarried and thus possibly no dependents for a pension to be paid to. Also my understanding that not all these cards have been published yet.

Edited by Mark1959

Ah, thank you Mark. Of the 26 who were killed or died of pneumonia and TB, I have found a few parents being the beneficiary for single men.  Having said that, I must check if they were single parents.  But as you say, Frank's may not have been published yet.  Do you know if there are any timescales on that please?

With grateful thanks once again,

Wayne

The forum member David Tattersfield is involved in the process. Private Message him and he will be able to provide more accurate info than I can on the timescales on card publication. Regards.

Apologies if you already have this, but his being single is also suggested by Soldiers effects on ancestry where following his death at 58th CCS, outstanding pay & allowances split between his mother & siblings in 1918, and his mother getting the whole War Gratuity in 1920.

891446949_ScreenShot2019-12-10at15_18_42.png.1267d913409de40e0ae9791346c93fe5.png

image courtesy of ancestry.co.uk

I could not find a soldiers will on the PRO site, or a civilian probate.

He features in 25 member trees on ancestry, none show a spouse.

6 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

The forum member David Tattersfield is involved in the process. Private Message him and he will be able to provide more accurate info than I can on the timescales on card publication. Regards.

Many thanks Mark.

Sometime next year, I'm hoping to be able to make the research available for folks to read free of charge via the Internet (with the help of my friend who has the expertise), so I will definitely contact David.

Much appreciated.

6 hours ago, travers61 said:

Apologies if you already have this, but his being single is also suggested by Soldiers effects on ancestry where following his death at 58th CCS, outstanding pay & allowances split between his mother & siblings in 1918, and his mother getting the whole War Gratuity in 1920.

891446949_ScreenShot2019-12-10at15_18_42.png.1267d913409de40e0ae9791346c93fe5.png

image courtesy of ancestry.co.uk

I could not find a soldiers will on the PRO site, or a civilian probate.

He features in 25 member trees on ancestry, none show a spouse.

Absolutely haven't got that!  Very much appreciated!

What I have got is an extract from a war diary describing exactly how he died.  Sgt Thomas was a very popular and respected NCO and I must try and find a descendant.

V/R

Wayne