Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tarves Memorial, Aberdeen

steve fuller

Hi Pals

If anyone does pass by it, or live near it, I would like to know if 2/Lt John Sutherland (originally 5th gordons, KIA 21/3/18 in 6th Lanc Fusiliers) is on it please? A photo would be perfect too, but just to know if hes on there in the first place would be great?!

Thanks all

Steve

Hi Steve,

Attached is a pic of the Tarves memorial taken in 1991...hope its still there.

Unfortunately I can't find the close up picture of the names, but I can see that 2nd Lieutenant John Sutherland is listed, his name is third from bottom on the left hand column of the WWI dead. Unfortunately I can't quite make out the regiment. If I find the close up I'll send it.

All the best,

Jim.

post-19-1107822945.jpg

Excellent! Thanks ever so much Jim, from myself & his family :D .

If the close up is available mate, Id be very grateful of course! No prob if its not though, just grateful for the pic attached! My email on the profile works fine, so anything I can do in return, mail away mate!

Thanks Jim

Steve

Hi!

Do you know the name of the church behind the Tarves war memorial?

Are there any other churches in Tarves?

Thank you,

Marika

Hi!

Thanks so much for your note. That must be it. I am looking for the Tarves church. I thought it might be long gone. My ancestor, Rev. Thomas Mitchell (1718-93) was minister at that church. I should check into this in detail to discover if it is the same structure.

After his daughter married in 1798 they were in Aberdeen so my next big breakthough will be to locate 50 Castle Street and find out if it it still exists as it was in 1838 (date of departure to Canada).

Thanks once again for the quick reply,

Marika

Marika

Are you aware that Rev Thos Mitchell penned the Tarves entry of the First Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799. He must have complied it shortly before his death in 1793.

See

Scotland Statistical Accounts

Click on the Parish List tab.

I believe this is the same kirk your ancestor ministered in. Following the Disruption of 1843 new kirks were built by the Free Kirk. Upon re-uniting in 1929 sometimes the Free Kirk building became the building which has been used by the Established Kirk ( Church of Scotland) since. I do not think that happened at Tarves.

Thank you so much for that piece of information. I didn't know that. It is midnight here, so I will study it in the morning, but I do thank you for letting me know.

I only have limited information for Rev. Mitchell, but my goal is to eventually find out more. I do have two portraits of his daughter Katherine Mitchell who married my great great great grandfather (George Pirie) in 1798. I also have a letter indicating that she was buried in the St. Nicholas churchyard in Aberdeen in 1837.

Thanks again for the information!

Marika