Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Postcard

Lewis Rogers

I bought this postcard 2 years ago in the Dordogne. I feel it must be an image related to WW1. It looks like a column of German troops being held be French Troops. can anyone shed any light on it especially where it was taken.?

French postcard.jpg

Would this be early war as the cavalry are in the dragoon helmet rather than Adrians?  Though they look to be in Horizon Bleu.

Edited by Heid the Ba

If it wasn't for the headwear I would have said post 11/11/18, possibly Alsace-Lorraine given the hills.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back to the photo: the hills in the background look too high for the Ardennes so that points to it been in Alsace or Lorraine, possibly Vosges area, With that amount of German prisoners it is either early August 1914 or end of war. Considering that there are leaves on the trees and the uniforms don't look early war (except helmets ?) it may well be1919 (or 1920).

The building look like a garrison building: they all tend to be similar styles but the one depicted is very like one of a pair that stood at the north end of Caserne Kleber (now demolished) in Gerardmer.

Steve

Following @SteveMarsdin's suggestion:

I found this postcard of the barracks at Gerardmer. The building in the middle looks like a good match.

887_001.jpg.a8a210c04a3f768bb1866db6caf61a6a.jpg

And another one: the roof of the building in question can just be seen behind the wide building.

045_001.jpg.fcc45c0bf3c4d271ab4a8eb1c0c66fde.jpg

Edited by JWK

Thanks for posting, JWK. It would be great if we could date the original photo.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I have now been able to find a date and details of the action which led to the photo being taken. If  you Google  La Fontenelle you will find this information.

"It was on the hill at La Fontenelle, a school garden before the war, that the front was established on 12 September 1914. The French occupied the summit, at contour line 627. The Germans dug in firmly on the Eastern flank, constructing powerful trenches from which attacks were then regularly launched. On 23 June 1915, with the help of the explosions of underground mines and the reinforcement of well-equipped heavy artillery, the Germans inflicted a severe defeat on the French by reaching the summit. However, on 8 and 23 July of the same year, two violent counterattacks saw the French troops regain a foothold on the hill. 1,500 prisoners were taken. After 25 July, mine warfare raged while raids replaced frontal attacks in the trenches. Despite the determination of the Germans, the heights of La Fontenelle remained in French hands. In 1925, a monument was inaugurated near the cemetery that hosts to the remains of 2,348 French soldiers. The German soldiers were brought together at the cemetery of Senones."

I believe the photo taken in Gerardmer is of the prisoners taken in the second of these actions. I love solving a mystery!!

Edited by Lewis Rogers

The 1905 barracks at Gérardmer reflect the fact that when Alsace and Lorraine became German again, some towns on the French side of the frontier became garrison towns. Gérardmer is only about 16 km from the important border crossing at Col de la Schlucht.

I know Gérardmer but I can't recall seeing the barracks. As most of the town was destroyed and burned during the German retreat at the end of 1944 I suspect they didn't survive.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

I know Gérardmer but I can't recall seeing the barracks. As most of the town was destroyed and burned during the German retreat at the end of 1944 I suspect they didn't survive.

It was located where Quartier Kléber now stands. Look for Rue Kléber on Google maps.

Yes, I know where they were. I was saying that I don't believe they survived. Without going and looking, I don't know whether there are any vestiges at all.

There were at least nine other barracks proposed to complement the major ones at Gérardmer, Épinal and Remiremont. Many of the names will be familiar to anyone who crosses the Vosges from the west, towards the former German frontier: Raon-l'Étape, Fraize,  Bussang and St Dié were among them. Bussang station is now disused but promotes itself to modern tourists as a frontier railway station. It has an astonishing rock war memorial in front of it.

Edited by Dragon