Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sir Charles Chute - The Vyne

RobertBr

Yesterday i visited the National Trust property 'The Vyne' near Basingstoke. Its former owner was Sir Charles Chute MC (1879 - 1956).

There was a small exhibition about his service in WW1. One exhibit stated that he served in 164 Brigade, not specifying the Division,Regiment or RFA.

I discounted the RFA due to some other remarks and have established that 164 Brigade awas part of the 55th Division (West Lancs). That would suggest he was in either the:

1/4 Kings Own (Royal Lancs)

1/4 Loyal North Lancs

2/5 Lancs Fus

1/8 Kings Liverpool

There was just one photo of him in uniform (Sir Charles Chute). I believe the Cap Badge in that photo is Middlesex Rgt!

He was active during WW2, including with the Home Guard, but the photo is of a much younger man.

Can anyone help with his WW1 Service?

Thanks

Bob

Bob, he could have been a staff officer in the Brigade HQ.  Appointments like Bde Maj, or Staff Capt (both usually substantive captains) were selected from a range of regiments that did not necessarily bear any relationship to the battalion’s that made up the brigade at a particular time.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Sir Charles Chute's obituary published in The Times 2 October 1956.

Chute, Sir Charles, obituary 2.10.1956.JPG

Edit to add:- Charles Lennard Chute initially served with 16th (Public Schools) Battalion, The Middlesex Regt. He was gazetted temp. 2nd Lt. 15 September 1914 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28957/page/8765

Edited by HarryBrook

Bob,

I've visited the Vyne a few times but had never made the connection.

He was Bde Maj in July 1918 according to one list:

image.png.9f31329988d69f6890fd64c8d447409a.png

His Brigade Commander, Stockwell, was a bit of a character in the RWF and was known as 'Buffalo Bill' earlier in the war for his willingness to threaten his men with a revolver if memory serves (though I would defer to forum member Muerrisch on that Regiment). I believe Stockwell's papers survive and are held at the RWF Museum; Chute might get a mention.

I presume this is Chute's file at Kew - might be worth a look...

Regards

Colin

Many thanks for the information. It all makes sense now.

I will make a short precis of his service and send it on the the NT. No-one at the house seemed to know anything.

Bob

My Grandmother was in service at The Vyne for a number of years, before leaving in the mid 1920's. Despite being a reasonably lowly worker, Sir Charles and his wife invited my Grandmother, together with my Mum, to have tea with them on a number of occasions.

Unfortunately, despite mentioning this during a number of recent visits to The Vyne, the NT Staff, and on one occasion the Manager, showed a total dis-interest in our family connection. Mum was quite upset, when she offered to write down my Grandmother's role and memories, to be told no thank you!

Edited by Sepoy

His MC is in LG click

T./Capt. Charles Lennard Chute, Gen. List(Bde. Maj., 164th Inf. Bde.).For great gallantry and devotion to1 duty as Brigade Major at the Bac de Wavrin on16th October, 1918. When the troops, who were attempting to force the crossing of the Haute Deule Canal, were checked by machine gun fire, he went up and organised the attack so successfully that foot bridges were thrown across the canal, the crossings made good, and the way prepared for fol-lowing troops to pass over. Later, near Tournai, it was largely due to his good staff work, repeatedly carried out under fire, that tactical points of importance were secured.

Page 14 of Coop’s history of the 55th Division includes part of the orbat. Capt. C.L. Chute MC, General List,  is listed as Brigade Major, 164th Infantry Brigade.  His name is in ‘thicker type’ as being holder of the office at cessation of hostilities. Two names in thinner type precede him in the list.

daggers