Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Michelle Young

Missing by Richard van Emden

Michelle Young

I noted this new book by Richard when looking at Amazon. Has anyone seen or read it please? @Forton

Michelle 

Forton

Hi Michelle

without blowing my own trumpet (by blowing my own trumpet), Paul Reed very kindly tweeted the following about my book:

‘Not just highly recommended, this is essential reading. The best Great War book of 2019 in my view.’

Hope that helps.

Richard

Gardenerbill

Apparently frequently bought along with 'Mark Bright, My Story' (for the none sporting he was a footballer). Anyway added to my reading list.

Michelle Young

I have asked Santa for the book, it looks fascinating. Will report  back if I do receive it. 

Michelle 

Michelle Young

Santa has been kind, I'm looking forward to reading it!

Michelle 

Michelle Young

It’s a really good book, fascinating and compelling. I’m not sure if I can make the conference, but if Richards talk is anywhere as near as good as the book, attendees are in for an absolute treat. 
Michelle 

Gardenerbill

Santa also brought me this book looking forward to reading it.

mandy hall

I have just started reading this book, purchased myself.  I also don’t know if I will get to the conference.  Having heard Richard at a previous GWF conference talking about his book The Quick and The Dead, he was excellent.

Mandy

Forton

Thank you Michelle and thank you Mandy. Gosh, you are setting me up for an almighty fall. Better get my thinking cap on!! I am delighted you liked the book so much, Michelle.

keithmroberts

I'm saving myself for your contribution at the GWF conference.

True to my Yorkshire heritage I hope to acquire a reduced copy.  I look forward to meeting you again Richard

Keith

David Spencer

Caught my eye too. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Always good to get people's thoughts before taking the plunge.

Le_Treport

I'm racing through this book, and wallowing in every page. It's just my type of book - I'm not very good with the dry, tactical histories of particular battalions etc. So this very human-based story is great. Two parallel themes - the Mond family's search for their son and the development of the GRU to IWGC. Great read as are all of Richard's books.

I'm one of a band of volunteers who are helping to 'tidy up' the archives at the CWGC (it's a tough job but someone's got to do it) and have come to know some of the people who were there in the early days. Not just Ware and the architects but the likes of Messrs Ingpen and Chettle, and it's great to see them appear in this book too! 

(If you read this Richard, and I scarcely dare to mention this - I'm sure you will have had pointed out the couple of typos! :) )

Edited by Le_Treport

Gardenerbill

Just finished this excellent book. The description of the activities of the GRU, IWGC and the DGR&E, though interesting, could have been on their own a bit dry, but the what brings the book alive is the way Richard Van Emden interweaves the story of Lt Francis Mond and his Mother's search for his grave. The book unfolds like a detective story set against the backdrop of the political and social issues around commemoration in the post war years. Highly recommended.

MAW

The narrative in this book makes me wonder how many of our buried research subjects are not in the places indicated by their memorials.

Michelle Young

I used to visit an old veteran gentleman who refused to visit the grave of his brother, as he didn't believe he was buried in the grave marked with his headstone. He based this on having heard a conversation about reburials on a train journey. 

Michelle 

Marilyne

It's going on Ze List... 

M.

Forton

Thank you so much for the very kind reviews. Any noticed typos would be very gratefully received. The book was edited but things always seem to slip through no matter how hard ones tries!