Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Defence (GW Home Guard)

Khaki

I know nothing about the British GW Home Guard,  I wish to know what sort of archaic weapons they might have been armed with if possible photographs please. Any information would be helpful.

thanks

khaki

Greetings from the Royal Forest of Sherwood here in sunny Nottinghamshire.

Just to start the ball rolling. although I am sure that there are many more knowledgeable people on this subject than I.

In the early days of the VTC ( Volunteer Training Corps) in the absence of weapons issued by the Government members used

whatever they could get their hands on.   Most would train with privately purchased miniature rifles in .22  which could be purchased

from the gun trade at prices between 25/- (£1.25) and £4.10/- (£4.50) usually complete with bayonet (see Central Association of

Volunteer Training Corps Gazette).  In September 1914 the Newark Volunteers attended a large parade in Nottingham and the officers

attempted to arm each man.  I quote from an article written by one of these officers.    

" Amongst the different types of weapons which were lent by friends were:  .577 Sniders circa 1868;  Brown Bess flintlock muskets

of the type used at the Battle of Waterloo;  Saloon rifles, small bore rifles for indoor use;  Boer War Mausers and Austrian Mausers; 

single barrelled muzzle loading shot guns;  Yeomanry carbines;  4 drill purpose non-firing Short Magazine Lee Enfield's and several wooden drill rifles"

It had been common for farmers to lend old single barrelled shotguns and other obsolete weaponry for use in training.

After official recognition in 1916 it is stated that the new Enfield pattern 1914 .303 rifle started to be issued to the Corps.

So, the Volunteers in WW1 were issued with much the same rifle that the Home Guard of WW2 used.   

Hope this is of some help.

Old Robin Hood

Here are a few photographs of members of the Volunteer Training Corps armed with .303 Martini Enfield Rifles. The last group photograph (post 1916) shows members of the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) Volunteers armed with .303 Martini Enfield Carbines - I just love the way they have found a chair for the Corporal!
The Guildford Volunteer Training Corps were armed with Albini -Braendlin Rifles.

Sepoy

vtc.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

queens-vet.jpg

Hi O.R.Hood, Thanks for the historical data, it brought a smile to my face just thinking of a home guard or .training corps being issued a Brown Bess that was already at least 100 years old, I would love to have seen the levity and leg pulling the user got on parade.

also

Many thanks Sepoy for the outstanding photographs, I love the chair for the corporal, I am glad you mentioned it or I might have missed it

2 minutes ago, Khaki said:

I love the chair for the corporal, I am glad you mentioned it or I might have missed it

I think that this photograph has such an air of "Dad's Army" TV series.
You can imagine Corporal Jones being photographed, in this fashion, together with his section with bayonets fixed!

Sepoy

5 minutes ago, Sepoy said:

I think that this photograph has such an air of "Dad's Army" TV series.
You can imagine Corporal Jones being photographed, in this fashion, together with his section with bayonets fixed!

Sepoy

Sure has, I think the average age there must be at least about seventy, I don't see any campaign ribbons but can you imagine the history, maybe Zulu War 1870's or even New Zealand wars 1860/1870's.

On 03/12/2019 at 22:17, Khaki said:

Many thanks Sepoy for the outstanding photographs, I love the chair for the corporal, I am glad you mentioned it or I might have missed it

Hear, hear! And those 'taches are fantastic - note how the corporal is the only one with a waxed version!

On 03/12/2019 at 12:17, Khaki said:

the cap badges look like the Queens Own, can anyone see what the shoulder badges are? my eyesight is letting me down lately.

khaki