Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID of 08 webbing

morrisc8

Gut instinct suggests to me that it will be a post war - possibly even a post WW2 adaption of the belt for a specific purpose, but what that purpose will have been, I can't imagine. Very interesting all the same.

David 

Whatever it is it was designed to carry some weight, initially it reminded me of the US belt cup for the BAR for advancing hip fire, not quite the same but was a Bren gun ever used in that capacity? or maybe running out radio wire on a spool?

khaki

Edited by Khaki

I think I've seen these before. I can't find a reference at present, but I believe they're a WWII belt for carrying radio equipment that are based on the P08 belt.

2 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

I think I've seen these before. I can't find a reference at present, but I believe they're a WWII belt for carrying radio equipment that are based on the P08 belt.

Correct, WW2 belt for radio set. Unsure which model. Used to be very common here.

25 minutes ago, Chasemuseum said:

Correct, WW2 belt for radio set. Unsure which model. Used to be very common here.

Re-designed for use with the No.18 Wireless Set I believe - see:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ww2-1908-pattern-field-wireless-radio-277054242

Image result for no 18 wireless set

Image result for no 18 wireless set

You have know tweaked my curiosity. The belts were available here in Oz in the 1980s in large quantity, but as far as I know the Australian Army never used the No18 set, using a locally made radio the WS108 series in that role - incidentally the WS108 Mk I, II & III were absolutely dreadful.