Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"CWGC Experience" at Beaurains

angelab

Alerted by an advertising panel alongside my car on the Shuttle the other day, I just managed to squeak into the CWGC visitor centre today before it closed for winter. (Reopens beginning of Feb 2020, Mon-Fri 10-4, admission free.)  It's probably all well-known stuff for 80% of you, but I am sure many others will find it revelatory.  I haven't seen any mention of it on here, so will give a brief description.

On arrival, you are issued with an hand-held audio machine into which you punch numbers at various points.  A five-minute film - in English, with English and French subtitles - introduces what one is going to see later.  From there you emerge into an open courtyard surrounded by workshops. A covered walkway leads round the edge where windows provide views into the workshops and you can listen to commentaries about the skills being exercised beyond the glass. It's fascinating to watch the headstones being incised; the carpentry workshop turning out doors, gates, etc with perfect joints and wooden pegs; the array of lawn mowers and edging devices; and finally the metal-worker's shop, using furnace and anvil to shape everything from replacement hinges and finials to restored gates and renewed Crosses of Sacrifice, everything faithfully matching the originals.  From here, these might be shipped to all corners of the globe, wherever there are CWGC graves and cemeteries to be refurbished.

You read about the familiar green direction signs, see film of the gardening teams in different parts of the globe.  But to me the most interesting horticultural info came before you enter the building, where some plants in the bed on the left of the door are labelled to show where they would be best placed, or even described as "anti-splash plants" (how vital that must be, in front of those creamy Portland stone memorials).

My partner was blown away by the stratified global "map" in the entrance hall, that showed how many graves are maintained in each country world-wide.

Good clean loos; free parking for vehicles of up to 11 passengers. (Larger vehicles are subject to a charge, and must book in advance.)

Best to avoid wet-weather visit if possible, as the central courtyard, with interesting stuff to read, is open to the elements although the walkways around it are covered.

We found it extremely interesting.   I am not sure they have chosen the best title for it: "CWGC Experience" does sound a bit Harry Potter-ish, and how many people (present readers excepted, of course!) would know what CWGC means?

A

Thanks Angela, there is nothing like a personal recommendation.

Pete.

• Admin

I went there on a very wet day in September, so the outside courtyard wasn’t at its best. I thought that the new centre was excellent, and it was fascinating to see all the processes and behind the scenes stuff. 
Very friendly helpful  staff and on a baser level, the lavatories were excellent too.

Michelle 

I have been there twice, once in September and once this month. It's well worth a visit.