Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. H.W. Lovemore 9th South African Horse

Biermacht

Gentlemen,

I have the Victory Medal of Pte. H.W. Lovemore of the 9th. South African Horse.

My friend told me to check, if the inscription on the reverse side of the medal was bi-lingual, english and afrikaans, and indeed it was.

Didn't have any knowledge till then about the South African medals, but it's always nice to learn new stuff.

I wonder how many of these bi-lingual medals were made?

Also, if anyone can tell me more about the medals, and Pte. Lovemore I would be very thankful.

Regards

Brian

about 75000 issued

Thanks Coldstreamer.

I have been googlin the medal, and found much more info.

Also searched high and low for the 9th. South African Horse, but it is not a lot available info anywhere.

I found info that they were in East Africa, and that is about it.

Also found a photo of a helmet flash, and the shoulder title.

Where do I search for more info?

Regards

Brian

As you have said they were in East Africa, there was an official history published 1939, and reprinted in 2004 by Battery Press, which might contain some information.

The South Africans with General Smuts in German East Africa, 1916 by John Johnston Collyer. Pretoria: Govt. Printer, 1939.

Cheers

Maureen

Edit:  Ebay book listing says

THE SOUTH AFRICANS WITH GENERAL SMUTS IN GERMAN EAST AFRICA 1916.

Collyer, Brigadier J.J., CB,CMG,DSO

Battery press, 2004, new copy, Limited edition reprint of this South African Official History, 150 copies only were printed, 5 1/2 x 8 1/2, 320 pages and 21 maps.-

-------------Originally published by the South African government in 1939 as an official history of that campaign, it was written by Brigadier J. J. Collyer, formerly Chief of the General Staff; Union Defense Forces. Brigadier Collyer was also the author of The Campaign in-German South West Africa 1914-1915 which has also been reprinted by Articles of War & the Battery Press.

----------The South Africans with General Smuts in German East Africa 1916 covers the 11 month period from February 1916 to January 1917. in addition to covering South African operations it also mentions the Belgian army which swept the Kagera basin. cleared Ruana and Urundi provinces, and finally occupied Tabora. As for the Germans. this history gives full justice to General von Lettow-Vorbeck, his German officers and his African Askari army. Smuts calls their efforts "an extraordinary performance" There are chapters on the situation prior to the arrival of General Smuts, the occupation of the Kilimanjaro area, operations of the 1st Division in a number of battles, and operations of South African General van Deventer. German responses are shown throughout, The book ends with a "lessons learned" chapter with conclusions on the entire campaign

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTH-AFRICANS-WITH-GENERAL-SMUTS-IN-GERMAN-EAST-AFRICA-1916-Battery-HB-NEW-/312487529314

Edited by Maureene

• 3 years later...

Hi Brian, this is an old thread but if you still have the medal of Lovemore and have not found any more info you can get the service records by ordering them from Dewald Nel in South Africa. I can find his details if you need them.   The War Diary of the 9th South African Horse is now at the National Archives for free . I have downloaded but wont share here for copyright reasons so here are the links:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/679806f3966f4f02b53fb64827ad57b3

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/91f8e0c4737342618390febd6dee3576

My great grandfather served in the unit and I obtained his records (attached). Unfortunately I don't have his medals but I was lucky enough to have known him as a child.

Regards

Dale

3476 TPR LOUIS JOHN POULTER 9 SAH P.pdf 3476 PTE LOUIS JOHN POULTER 1 MB 9 SAH S.pdf