Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Insignia or patchs on uniform

Hi All,

Was passed a link to this forum to try and find out about the tittle of the topic.

I'd like to do a 1/6 scale of a British trench raider depicting the 2nd Battalion Ox and Bucks but I'm having trouble finding out about said tittle for accrucey, any help or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks MH

Edited by Guest

It might be worth looking through the regimental history or war diaries of the Ox and Bucks for clarification. I recall reading that it was common for any badges or identifiers to be removed  from uniforms prior to a trench raid to avoid any identification.

Scott   

This famous photo of men shortly after a trench raid circa 1915 gives a good impression of typical dress worn.  Issued woollen “cap comforters” (also worn by commandos during WW2) were more or less ubiquitous at the time.

B906AE2D-8722-4641-8A96-16DA792C67BA.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for your comments,

It would appear by the photo supplied by Frogsmile that Scott maybe right that all insignia apart from rank it seems was removed before said raid.

I will endeavour to make sure though before I start this model.

Thanks again chaps

I have also read that buttons were blackened prior to raids as well. Although not in the above image.