Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I can't find R. G. Lockyer's L.G. 3 Feb 1920 MiD

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear London Gazette sleuths, except Dick,

I attach a 1941 Indian Army List page, which shows, bottom left, that R. G. LOCKYER of the Rice Corps was Mentioned in Despatches (for Russia?), in the 3 February 1920 London Gazette.

Having entered his initials, then full name, etc., and tried several issues, I am in rather despair of finding this elusive entry - but perhaps a more skilful User can do so?

I assume it is Reginald Gordon Lockyer, but even that is in some doubt, the latter seeing Officer rank Service in France (RFA) from 26 March 1918, and IARO Service (S&T C: Pony Pack Corps) in Waziristan from 4 Feb 1919 (Medal and clasp). Relinquished Temp. IARO commission 22 July 1922 and granted rank of Lieutenant.

Kindest regards,

Kim.384804101_Jan1941IAListSupplement.jpg.81cacb52c662fcb71a6050e1fca404e6.jpg

Hi

I see a previous thread states "He was 'mentioned in despatches' - London Gazette p 1380, February 1920"

Heres page 1380

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31764/supplement/1380/data.pdf

But I cannot see his name. nor anywhere else in the issue.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

Kim

I assume you have bought his medals - there is no MID on them ?

lockyer.jpg.c5214340aa57c4a84e4a075eda1c30f8.jpg

The MIC for Reginald Gordon Lockyer is here on Ancestry - click - it was mistranscribed as "Riginald " Gordon Lockyer. It has an Indian Address on it, but no ref to IARO

It would seem odd that this might be the same man as commissioned in 1910 to RHA , in fact I do not think it could have been as this chap with MIC was born in 1898. In which case there were two Reginald Gordon Lockyer around (could have related?)

On shipping records

Leaving UK for Colombo  in 1922 "Indian Army", born 1898  - click

Leaving Bombay for UK in 1922, "Army Officer" - click

Dear Graeme,

Yes, I was combing through those very pages, too - in vain!

I have been unable to reconcile the RIASC Brevet Major R. G. Lockyer, with the IARO attd S&T C Lieut Reginald Gordon Lockyer (erstwhile comd. of the Pack Pony Corps, Feb - Apr 1921). Indeed corisande has now kindly identified the "Russia" R. G. Lockyer, RIASC as having been commissioned into the RHA in 1910.

A Farmer's son, Reginald Gordon Lockyer (born 14 Jun 1897) briefly attended Kelly College, Jan 1913 to Feb 1914, and was noted as being a Salesman. (Thanks, Dick!)

Old Kelleians tells us that he joined the RFA in Sep 1914 (990 A/Bmbr. 3rd Wessex Bde., RFA, TF) Bombardier, India 1914-17; 2nd Lieut., RFA, 5 Feb 1918 and crossed over to France 26 Mar 1918.

On 8 Feb 1920, Reginald Gordon Lockyer was to rank as Lieutenant (from 4 Feb 1919), having been granted a temporary commission in the IARO. 

A/Capt R. G. Lockyer (9 Feb 1921) while comdg. a Pack Pony Corps. Ceased to comd. a Pack Pony Corps, 30 Apr 1921.

Relinquished temporary IARO commission and permitted to retain the rank of Lieut., R. G. Lockyer, 22 July 1922. 

Thanks for looking, despite your running into Brickwalls/Minefields.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear corisande,

Thanks for the Shipping Records (I do not have ancestry to print them out, unfortunately) for UK to Colombo, 1922 "Indian Army" (I have his birth as 14 Jun 1897); Bombay to UK 1922  "Army Officer".

I also have to hand (thanks, Dick!), "Celtic" Liverpool to New York, 2 Dec 1922 (it was a busy year, ending a Long War), Reginald Gordon Lockyer, c/- Mr F. Dobson, 55 fleet St., Torquay, Devon. Age 25, "Ex-Army Officer"...

Coincidentally, I was well-acquainted with the late Jeff Jacob, and bid for the Fulcher Group, but missed out. I overlooked both the Smith and Lockyer Groups, but acquired the former eventually and Smith's Image; and will possibly acquire the latter (although finding an Image seems tricky!).

Thanks for looking!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim

Sept 5th 1933 arriving Plymouth from Washington, USA, a salesman, address as on MIC.....looking  His brother Felix Courtenay Lockyer was killed  12th Feb 1917 2nd Lt. 8th Bn Devonshire Regt.  Parents Ernest Alfred and Lilian Jane, same address..Other brother Ernest Vernon Lockyer 34/TRB, RAF 2nd. Lt. died. 31.8.1979.

Kim, you stated Reginald was a "farmer's son"...the Reginald Gordon Lockyer in the posts above is the son of a  Bank Manager! This checks out with his father's marriage cert. to Lilian Jane Hussey on 12th Jan, 1895, Birmingham and 1939 register etc..     However, his grandfather Thomas William Lockyer is shown as a FARMER on the cert.. 

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Dear Barry, and all the generous GWF Aficionados!

Many thanks for yet another mosaic piece in the R. G. Lockyer saga. Much appreciated, indeed.

He was obviously active in the USA (although his Probate in 1971 was modest).

The loss of his 8 Devonshire Officer brother, KiA 1917 was poignant and thanks for that Information. 

Arduous as the Waziristan 1919-21 Campaign was, there was no comparison with the casualties in France, 1918, for example...

As usual, a Goodie ("Assam Planter") for an Image of Reginald Gordon Lockyer, 1897-1971, please!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim

MIC, Medal award rolls all confirm above details. Family tree not very much...  The search begins for a photo.

Regards Barry

Dear Barry,

Super!

Here is his Probate (thanks Dick!)1538375605_197120Probate.jpeg.jpg.c80f12fd6c38da559f2f8c67ae4dbc0e.jpg...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi again

17th Feb, 1920 aboard "Warwickshire" from Liverpool, dest. Colombo.R G Lockyer Indian Army, b. abt 1898. 2nd August

1930 travelled from Belgium on board " S.S.Balboa". One of only 2 "Alien" passengers. Height 5'3", light brown hair, blue eyes. Father's address as below. Immigration Visa No. I.C. 552150 20th June, 1930. Visa  Issued from Southampton  No.47054. Arrived San. F. 11th Sept.

A salesman. Lived for 7 years in San Francisco and Los Angeles. 1922-1929. Add. C/o General Delivery, San Francisco, Cal.

Can I suggest death cert. No. 9c, 2886, 1st qtr 1971, Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire may give an idea where to look next.  It doesn't look like he was in the UK in 1939...

On the MIC 1st address is C/o Messrs. Grindlay & Co, Bombay, India.

They were maufacturers of leather bank bags and acted as agents and bankers for HM Regiments in India see :- https://www.abebooks.co.uk/first-edition/Cruise-brochure-Passengers-India-Messrs-Grindlay/22563029559/bd....so interestingly Reginald's father was a Bank Manager. Was Reginald selling for Grindlay & Co? or did they just look after his money?  Searching...having found this...and others !

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/story/6138..it would appear just to be a correspondence address but???

Ernest Alfred Lockyer, Reginald's father, died 16th Jan, 1964, Flat 1, Highlands, Herbert Road, Chelston, Torquay...death cert. informant? His wife died same address in 1944.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Dear Barry,

Superb searching. The 1911 Census Shows Bank Manager clearly for the father; but '(Illegible) Cashier' on the Baptism. (My late fBaptism.jpeg.jpg.77f4bb0aa24a4f7e339af3d6282e1fb2.jpg443427081_191120Census.jpeg.jpg.79206a6553e2d2f3bf990763d8a40bb8.jpg1312742288_193920Register.jpeg.jpg.73fca8c12abe0b27a5e9a11b592c9c8e.jpgather was also a Bank Manager!)

R. G. Lockyer's sojourns in San Francisco and Los Angeles: highly interesting!

I suspect Grindlay & Co were merely looking after his money

Yes, I will follow the Death Certificate lead as you so kindly suggested...

Kindest regards,

Kim.