Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Thomas Farrance

Peter Bennett

Is there a way to find out how this man lost his life. He does not seem to have been a victim of the influenza pandemic

The CWGC burial record initially lists him as an unknown British Soldier which might mean he was killed in an explosion or similar which prevented his being identified until later.

Private FARRANCE, THOMAS

Service Number 76090

Died 11/10/1919

Aged 32

1st/6th Bn.
Manchester Regiment

Son of Edward Farrance, of West Town, Dewsbury, Yorks; husband of Eliza Farrance, of Cemetery Rd., West Town, Dewsbury, Yorks.

Buried at ST. PIERRE CEMETERY, AMIENS

Number of casualties: 748

Cemetery/memorial reference: XVII. A. 1.

Hi Peter,

Thomas Farrance 'died in hospital' on 11/10/1919, according to the 'Register of Soldier's Effects'.

Chris

Edited by cmf

Thanks Chris, maybe it was influenza, can't fathom the Unknown Soldier bit though

18 minutes ago, cmf said:

Hi Peter,

Thomas Farrance 'died in hospital' on 11/10/1919, according to the 'Register of Soldier's Effects'.

Chris

Forum member John Hartley wrote a book on the 6th Manchesters.  I don't know if it covered the time in which you are interested as I don't have a copy here.  I'm sure others on here could tell you.  John doesn't check in very frequently these days but you might try to PM him to see if he can help.

On 24/11/2019 at 23:10, Peter Bennett said:

Is there a way to find out how this man lost his life. He does not seem to have been a victim of the influenza pandemic

Thanks to the Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold 3) there is a Pension Ledger and Pension Card

PC = Cause of death: Tubercular pleurisy