Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a military badge

Malcolm Linham

Pals 

Please can someone identify the the below badge , the photograph was recovered from a black bin liner along with the Great War Tribute medal issued by Frederick Lucas Cooke or the Fijian Labour Corp that I posted a photograph of recently.  I have only posted his hat,  in the full photograph he appears to be wearing spurs and has 4 good conduct stripes on his right sleeve. 

Thank you 

Malcolm 

Scan_20191120.jpg

Four chevrons on right sleeve would be overseas chevrons, one for each year served overseas.

Edited by squirrel

Jay / Squirrel 

Thank you for the information, would this be Territorial unit or a pre war badge.  The only artillery badge I could find was the standard  gun and wheel.

Cheers 

Malcolm 

The image is that of a standard RA badge with a lot of glare which has obscured the gun and wheel, can we see the whole image?

Like squirrel has mentioned the chevrons denote overseas service, the 1914 chevron was red followed by blue for the following years, as can be seen there is no red chevron so service from 1915 but at a push could be 1916 (depending where he served). He would appear to be a driver of most likely the RFA and I can see nothing to suggest a TF soldier

With the details on the back of the photograph I believe this man to be Henry William Newman who joined the Territorials on the 9 Jun 1913. Gunner 1316 .

Entitled to 14/15 Star / War & Victory medals. Entered F & F 17/3/1915 Discharged 19/3/1919 .

Thanks again 

Malcolm 

The FMP Records has a letter addressed to  a Mrs Richards at an address in Hounslow giving details of his service. She presumably is a relation. I am not sure FMP should be displaying the letter. But I presume if she is still with us would be interested in the photo. 
name on records is WH rather than HW

Edited by Mark1959

So after some reseach

William Henry Newman 1316 later 960082 has records on FMP. The first few pages are a letter written in 1996 to a Mrs P Richards living at Heston, Hounslow. The docs also gives his address and that of his Nok as 3 Bedford Terrace, Chelsea. His Nok is his mother Mrs A Newman.

A check of early 1920s electoral rolls shows a Herbert George Newman as a registered voter at that address. 

This has led me to census returns for 1901 and 1911 of a family with HG as head, A Mary Anne as the mother and WIlliam Henry as one of several siblings. These are both in Chelsea. In 1911 WH appears as a clerk which matches his attestation. 

This in turn led me to a baptism on 18/2/94 in St Phillip's. Kensington of a WH. parents Robert(sic) and Mary Anne living at Radley Mews. The father is shown as a coachman. He consistently appears as a Car/Coach man in all the records. Moving on this led me to a marriage at St. Luke's, Chelsea between a WHN and Hilda Norton on 23/11/19. WHN's address shows as 3, Bedford Terrace and HGN as the father, 

This led to a 1939 list record for a WHN and Hilda N in Heston and Isleworth at 28, North Hyde Lane. WHN dob is 20/1/1894 and Hilda's 24/3/1898. The ages on the 1919 marriage are 25 and 21. There are 2 other people at the address but the records are closed.WHN is a civil servant clerical officer. 

My next move was to look for any children. This led me to a birth registered in Fulham in 1927 of a Pamela Audrey Hilda Newman, mother's maiden name Norton. . Plus a marriage registered in Ealing in 1950 between a Pamela AH Newman and a man called "Richards or Spragg"  - that is what it says on the listing (christian names are William JR). This led me to the conclusion that the lady the 1996 letter was addressed to was WHN's daugther. The parents and Pamela appear at 28 North Hyde Lane in electoral rolls in the late 1940s.

Sadly the lady passed away on 18/12/2015 aged 88.There is a probate record but to whom it was granted would have to be investigated. I cannot see an obvious child from Pamela's marriage

Should you have access to any of the whole know genealogy sites I can provide direct links.

At the moment how the photo ends up in a bin bag in Keynsham is a mystery as the trail has gone a little chilly

Edited by Mark1959

An online copy of the will & probate from 2015 for Pamela AH Newman is available here for £ 1.50 & should give the 2015 names & addresses of her executors.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?Surname=richards&SurnameGrants=richards&FirstName=pamela&FirstNameGrants=pamela&YearOfDeath=2015&YearOfDeathGrants=2015&AdvancedSearch=True&IsGrantSearch=True&IsCalendarSearch=False#wills