Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Arthur Wiltshire

Guest Paulclyde1950

Guest Paulclyde1950

Hi, I am trying to trace my grandfathers history in WW1 As per usual his war recordes went up in smoke in 1940! He was with the RFA and served in Eygpt ending up I believe in Syria.

His regiment number was 267394 for the RFA. Although I have found that his orginal unit was the Hampshire Yeomanry. Which was turned into a gunner unit?

Many Thanks.

Paul

Paul,

I assume that your grandfather was Arthur Wiltshire? My records indicate that he was entitled to a British War medal and Victory Medal 'pair' and that he first served overseas sometime between 1 January 1916 and 1 March 1917 (possibly 1 April 1917) as Private 2720 with the Hampshire (Carabiniers) Yeomanry. Could have been as a draft from 2/1st Hampshire (Carabiniers) Yeomanry. The six figure number 267394 was instigated when the Territorial Force units were re-numbered in January to April 1917 - requires some further research to confirm that this is the case and identify which TF unit this serial number refers.

The medal rolls at the National Archives may provide some additional information such as the RFA brigade. I can take a look next time I visit if you wish?

Although I have found that his orginal unit was the Hampshire Yeomanry. Which was turned into a gunner unit?

Correct, but not until 1921 when they were converted and amalgamated with the Hampshire RHA to become 95th (Hampshire Yeomanry) Brigade, RFA.

Regards

Marc

Marc wrote:

The six figure number 267394 was instigated when the Territorial Force units were re-numbered in January to April 1917 - requires some further research to confirm that this is the case and identify which TF unit this serial number refers.

Marc: To the best of my knowledge six digit numbers 100000 to 299999 are not Territorial Force numbers but rather numbers for regular gunners. Six digit TF numbers range from 300001 to 388000 for the RGA TF and 600001 to 975.000 for the RFA TF.

Dick

Guest Paulclyde1950

Marc,

Yes Arthur Wiltshire. Was my granfather. And would appreciate any help in this direction. In particular the units he served with?

Many Thanks

Paul

Dick - Thanks. You are of course correct. I was confusing myself with the Yeomanry TF new serial number sequence which fell in a similar range as this number.

Marc

Paul - Leave it with me and I will see what I can do.

Paul,

Having checked the Victory and British War medal roll entry for your grandfather today it unfortunately does not indicate which RFA Brigade(s) he served with. The roll entry does not provide any further detail than what is already derived from his Medal Index Card.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...