Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What happened between Attestation & Mobilisation ?

MERLINV12

As title, did anything happen to OR's between Attestation & Mobilisation ?

Any training, camps, courses etc (specifically Guards Regts), the reason for asking is that GF's SR shows that he was promoted to Lance Rank, on the same day he was mobilised.

To my mind that must indicate he must have done something military in those 11 months, or how else would he merit a promotion ??? (no previous service)

Unless of course the dates are wrong on his SR.

TIA

Edited by MERLINV12

Im sure that previous occupation counted - if a man was say a Police Sg before the war t then giving him authority is something he is used to 

also men that showed promise that was noticed would be given promotion (or appointment in case of L/Cpl as not a technical promotion) - some one had to do it!

57 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

When did he enlist?

Craig

Craig,

Attestation = 10/12/15, Promoted & Mobilised 23/10/16

Edited by MERLINV12

3 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

Im sure that previous occupation counted - if a man was say a Police Sg before the war t then giving him authority is something he is used to 

also men that showed promise that was noticed would be given promotion (or appointment in case of L/Cpl as not a technical promotion) - some one had to do it!

Ian,

GF looked after the horses (Groom) on a farm, so no relevant experience.

It is the fact that he was promoted on the same day he was mobilised, that puzzles me.

Edited by MERLINV12

pure speculation, a new draft would need someone to be in charge to be the "responsible adult" :D, it could be that someone else was busted and he got the job - lots of possibilities  

I have loads of coldstream books from Crimea to date not just ww1 - trying to think which one best covers the training period - Ill get back to you

Just now, Coldstreamer said:

pure speculation, a new draft would need someone to be in charge to be the "responsible adult" :D, it could be that someone else was busted and he got the job - lots of possibilities  

But if he just carried on working on the farm between signing up and mobilisation, they would have nothing to base their decision on, he was not "in" the army at the point of promotion.

Thanks for checking your books Ian.

Ive looked at his paper , where does it say he was a L/Cpl ? the rank column just looks like admin squiggles to me

It looks to me like the 23/10/16 date is in fact an amendment to the "Service Reckons from" date but confusingly entered on the "Date appointed to lance rank" line. However the original service reckons from date is struck through in what looks like the same hand as the 23/10/16 date. Extract courtesy of FindmyPastCAS.png.75626fab377cdefa954589e24e29a0fe.png

He was a Derby Scheme man so they  were simply sent back home until called up - there was nothing in between.

It looks just like an amendment to the date above - they were correcting the date to show when he was called up, rather than the date he signed up under the Derby Scheme.

Craig

28 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

It looks just like an amendment to the date above - they were correcting the date

Agreed

which is what i found looking at the page that covers promotions

From FMP

sherwood.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has posted, as usual for me every day is a school day on here. Bordercollie's copy of GF's SR is so much clearer than my Ancestry version, the strike throughs are not visible on mine, so I can now see the points you are making, so he was never promoted :(. Also I posted several topics on "what does this say", etc, when maybe if I had chosen FMP instead of Ancestry, then I wouldn't have wasted people's time and my own !

So looks like I am going to have to join FMP to get a better/clearer set of SR.

Edited by MERLINV12

56 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

He was a Derby Scheme man so they  were simply sent back home until called up - there was nothing in between.

It looks just like an amendment to the date above - they were correcting the date to show when he was called up, rather than the date he signed up under the Derby Scheme.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks, never heard of Derby Scheme before, is experience telling you he was a Derby man, or are you seeing something I cannot ?

Need to read up on the Derby Scheme.

Michael.

ill send you a PM 

ill let someone else expand on Derby scheme

Edited by Coldstreamer

41 minutes ago, MERLINV12 said:

Gulp ... for the avoidance of doubt I don't work for FMP ;) 

1 hour ago, MERLINV12 said:

Craig,

Thanks, never heard of Derby Scheme before, is experience telling you he was a Derby man, or are you seeing something I cannot ?

Need to read up on the Derby Scheme.

Michael.

He attested in Dec 1915 for a deferred service (i.e. to be called up later). This was the way the Derby Scheme worked and it was the only scheme if it's type operating in Dec 1915. The idea was that it was easier to give men a choice to enlist as a volunteer than force them to enlist (although for various reasons conscription was later needed).

Craig

They do tend to be clearer images,

Craig

2 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

They do tend to be clearer images,

Craig

Do they come from the same source or did they make their own copies ? sorry, I know a bit of a tangent

Just now, Coldstreamer said:

Do they come from the same source or did they make their own copies ? sorry, I know a bit of a tangent

As far as I'm aware Find My Past scanned the WW1 records themselves whereas Ancestry used the N/A own microfilm copies (Always open to correction though).

Craig

thanks - explains why nicely

47 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

Yes it is a bit of a tangent - but worthy of consideration when thinking of splashing your hard-earned cash

FMP / Ancestry - a bit of swings and roundabouts / apples and pears at times when it comes to their offerings.

One thing to be sure is that they seem to both have better copies than TNA - take MIC as another example... Ancestry in clear colour, TNA scruffy B/W

Maybe that is down to the money available and the age of their respective technologies ???

Hey ho!  So much easier researching than years ago.  :-)

Edit: And ...  No, I don't work for either of them! ;-)

Edit: At the risk of seeming to hang on others' coat-tails.  Attest/go home/mobilise - happened in my family too.

Edited by Matlock1418
additions