Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Cheadle

stevem49

Hello Each

I am struggling to find a family in WW2 and therefore tracing the family a couple of generations back.

Frank Cheadle married Mabel Hardy on 5 Feb 1916, in Nottingham and they had a son Harry John in July of that year, born in Northamptonshire.

Frank was 26 and therefore likely to have been in the forces.

On checking Ancestry, I came across 82960 Frank Cheadle, wife Mabel, 1 June 1917 in the RAF Airman pension and muster rolls.

Before I bite the bullet and pay out the extra to get access to the records, is it worthwhile me doing so. What information might be in them which might -

a) Tell me if I have the correct man.

b)  Give any family members which might help in my quest.

As a background we have a A/B. F Cheadle on our WW2,  memorial but despite my efforts (and others) he has not been found. The only man mentioned is a Henry John born 1916 and killed on-board The Hood. This man is mentioned in the local paper and mentions his father Mr F Cheadle as living in the village, though no mention of a son named F.  The family seem to have moved around a lot which is not helping the search.

I would be grateful for any advice and/or pointers.

Thank you

Steve

he has a RAF file on FMP with the muster roll - do have you access ?  if not send me a PM - doesnt add much, just his rank and when he joined

Edited by Coldstreamer

found his papers, married Mable - lived Northamptonshire

Wonderful. Ties in with son being born in Northamptonshire. Will recheck marriage mentioned as Nottingham as possibly incorrect. 

Many thanks

Steve

Frank jr appears to be an unmarried grocer's manager living at 40 Barford Ave, Bedford in 1939.

He dies in Blackpool in 1987.

Frank snr marries Mabel Hardy in East Retford, Notts in 1916.

In 1939 he and Mabel are at Clay End Cottages, Hertford.

They have a Clive Cheadle, aged 21 living with them....can't find a UK birth for him at the moment though.

Edit...Frank & Mabel marry at Gringley on the Hill...to be specific.

Henry John appears to be their first son born 1916 in Thrapston.

The Hood casualty may be this man.

Screenshot_20191122-235050.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Many thanks for that

Gringley on the Hill now Nott's !  Nightmare family. Henry J (Harry) is their son as I got birth cert the other day although he is not on the Memorial unless they got the incorrect initials! . Clive married in Meriden, 1941 although living in Coventry. A Dorothy also married a Cranton in 1941 again in Meriden. 

Frank Snr is listed as a Gardener in 1916 and in Stanwick, Northant's (July 1916) .  and enlisted RFC in 1917 (address given as Gringley on the hill.)

If Frank Jnr died in 1987, then either Frank Snr died in WW2 (Blitz?) or the wrong initials.

Not sure how I will ever prove it but at least I have a family now.

Will continue my search for Frank snr death.

Once again my thanks to you and Coldstreamer as I was beginning to lose the will to live with this family :) 

It is possible Frank snr worked for the Packington Estate and got moved around a fair bit. 

I had better close this thread as I do not want to stray to much from WW1.

Thanks 

Steve 

PM me if a miracle occurs :)