Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Stabilis

Research

Recommended Posts

2nd Stabilis

Hi, I’m new to this site.

 

im currently searching for my great granddad Ernest Arther Garner who served with the 13th Brigade as a driver, Army number 296099.

 

could anyone help me and let me know his army records and medals, places he went and so on.

 

thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle Young

Welcome to the forum. As always, your first port of call should be the Long Long Trail, link top left. Lots of information about how to research on there.

Michelle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonbem

Hi and welcome. Do you have access to Ancestry or Find my past? If not your local library may provide such. Members may well post links to assist you.

Regards

Jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GraemeClarke
jonbem

Seems like he served in several battalions https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1262&h=3777735&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=WmT1736&_phstart=successSource

Name:Ernest A Garner

Regiment or Corps:Leicestershire Regiment, Manchester Regiment, Royal Field Artillery, Royal Field Artillery

Regimental Number:1893, 40963, 296099, 1045312

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonbem

You can search for war diaries on National Archives. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14303

If digitised they are usually £3.50 to download. They can also be found on Ancestry but sometimes the indexing is a little strange! https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/60779/

Edited by jonbem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
clk

Hi,

 

Welcome o he forum.

 

Findmypast has a record here which shows that he served post war until 7.11.1931.

 

What's left of his service file is held by he MoD.

image.png.059d17fea63253b7ff5ed650c9a6302f.png

 

Advice - here

Helpdesk phone number - here

 

Regards

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2nd Stabilis
3 hours ago, jonbem said:

Seems like he served in several battalions https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1262&h=3777735&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=WmT1736&_phstart=successSource

Name:Ernest A Garner

Regiment or Corps:Leicestershire Regiment, Manchester Regiment, Royal Field Artillery, Royal Field Artillery

Regimental Number:1893, 40963, 296099, 1045312


Thank you yes this is correct as far as I’m aware, does anyone know why someone should of joined so many battalions?

He was gassed which I read somewhere so had health issues with his lungs.

does anyone know which medals were awarded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2nd Stabilis
2nd Stabilis
1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi,

 

Welcome o he forum.

 

Findmypast has a record here which shows that he served post war until 7.11.1931.

 

What's left of his service file is held by he MoD.

image.png.059d17fea63253b7ff5ed650c9a6302f.png

 

Advice - here

Helpdesk phone number - here

 

Regards

Chris

Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GraemeClarke

Hi

 

Even on my Kindle it takes me to the MiC.

 

you do need to be a member of Ancestry, whether you have a subscription or not.

 

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
35 minutes ago, GraemeClarke said:

it takes me to the MiC.

Me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2nd Stabilis

I can’t find where they where gassed in Iraq does anyone have a reference to this please 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kenf48
45 minutes ago, 2nd Stabilis said:

I can’t find where they where gassed in Iraq does anyone have a reference to this please 

 

There is no evidence gas was used by either side in the Mesopatamia Campaign in the Great War.  There is a suggestion it was used by the British post war but this assertion has been discredited.

 

Discussed at some length on this earlier thread

 

 

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252

Please continue anything on this man on the this thread

 

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...