Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US female casualty - but who is she?

Jim Strawbridge

As some of you will know I am researching WW1 serving female casualties. I have come across a woman about whom I know virtually nothing. What I do know is that she is called Elizabeth Davies and was commemorated with a remembrance tree in the avenue of trees known as the Des Moines Memorial Drive between Seattle and Des Moines. I am led to believe that she was a married woman but I know nothing more. Can anyone help?

• Admin

Jim

been perusing the US newspapers on FMP and have found an Elizabeth Davies in the Boston Sunday Globe of 15th September 1918 who was one of a group of nurses who volunteered for service in France. Not saying she is your lady but the photo below (courtesy FMP) might be of interest?

David

image.png

• Admin

Jim

The Highline Historical Society article quoted as a source on the first of my links above does not come up on a search via their website. However, the author Beth Williams is a member of LinkedIn if you have access to that?

Regards

David

4 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Jim

I'm guessing you will already have found this link? As Edith Cavell is mentioned it might be that Mrs Davies may not even have been American?

https://www.historylink.org/File/8936

Regards

David

I think that Edith Cavell was added in view of her being "famous". The other names are American or working in American units. Somewhere there must be a list of the names for whom trees were planted in commemoration but as yet I have not found it. Your photograph seems to be a possibility but I see that she is actually Marjorie Elizabeth Davies in the caption below. . 

I assume you found this listing?

https://highlinehistory.org/collections/des-moines-memorial-drive/

and I meant to send you this article too which I ran across some time ago and thought might be of interest to you (it does not mention Ms Davis)

Chris

Edit: Washington State has a pretty good searchable digital archive available here

Edited by 4thGordons
add link

16 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

I assume you found this listing?

https://highlinehistory.org/collections/des-moines-memorial-drive/

and I meant to send you this article too which I ran across some time ago and thought might be of interest to you (it does not mention Ms Davis)

Chris

Edit: Washington State has a pretty good searchable digital archive available here

Thank you. The Des Moines article I have seen before but I have yet to find a list of all of the names that goes with each tree. The second reference lists all the American Red Cross nurses that died but no Elizabeth Davies amongst them so it looks as if my Elizabeth was serving directly in one of the US forces.

I don't see her listed in "Soldiers (sic) Died" in the volume covering Washington State (not unusual as the listing is far from complete)

All of my library is currently in storage following flood recovery, but I should be able to get to it to check by the middle of December so I have made a note to check then as I think I have some honor rolls for several of the larger counties in Wa.

Chris