Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clarence Leonard Robinson

Kathie

My soldier is Victor Noel Robinson who was killed in German East Africa in 1917. He had three brothers - two served SAI in France and ones card is simply marked "RFC - cadet". That would be the only record the South Africans would keep becauase he did not serve in SA forces.

However, what is a 'cadet'. Sounds a bit navy to me.

Anyone know anything about Clarence Leornard Robinson? He survived and came back here and died in Durban.

Thanks

Kathie

A Trainee Young Officer,An Officer Cadet,Not of an age to be an Officer,per se. ;)

Kathie

An RFC Cadet was a trainee pilot. Cadets had to remove previous rank badges and insignia from their uniforms and were distinguished by a (much disliked) white band around their cap to indicate their Cadet status.

Regards

Gareth

thank you both.

Gareth, I should have known I would hear from you.

You may remember I was hunting up two Pilots - Reuben Yell and Clive Halse. I have had such luck with both - school information, photos of Yell from family in the UK, articles on hunting in Central Africa in an obscure country newspaper by Halse and so on. And your pictures of the planes will feature. I think I am reaching the end and am now writing - and finding out bits and pieces whcih I must fill in. Will it ever see the light of day as a book is another qustion.

Anyone, I am already on to the next one- editing a set of letters "From your loving son Yum".

Kathie

How would I find out if Clarence Leonard Robinson completed his pilots training and actually was an RFC pilot?

Kathie

How would I find out if Clarence Leonard Robinson completed his pilots training and actually was an RFC pilot?

Kathie

If he became an officer in the RFC he would be listed in the Army list.

There is one entry for a Clarence L Robinson in the medal index cards, he is a private in the Machine Gun Corps.

Hello,

I have found two references to Capt C.L.Robinson in the Air Force Lists of 1918. April 1918 shows him as an Admin Officer and August 1918 shows him as a Technical Officer.

He may have been a pilot in the RFC and for some reason moved to a different role in the later RAF.

The way to be sure is to obtain his service records from the National Archives, these will be available for his time in the RAF and can be found in the Air 76 series.

Hope this gives you a start, any problems please pm.

Steve.

Thank you all. He is an add on to my real work on his brother. I doubt I can get to look at the records - you never know. but this is a little footnote filled out somewhat. Thank you.

Kathie