Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George D'Rastrick Carr RAMC

stevem49

Morning all.

I am having a nightmare attempting to find Lt (Capt) George D'Rastrick Carr, RAMC in the London Gazette. He received an MiD 28 January 1916 and later one possibly more MC's (2 bars?).

He was attached to 9th battalion Sherwood Foresters and served on Gallipoli before being wounded/Ill in October. He was again with the battalion went they arrived in France in July 1916. Possibly served with them until March 1918. I have info from Ancestry, although apparently I have to pay more to get his 1918 and 1922 Army List forms. 

His medal card has 'MC' on it and a separate card has Mentioned in dispatches LG 28/1/16 page 120.

I would be obliged if someone with more expertise than me could give me an idea of our I delve into the mystery's of the LG.  I used to be able to search easily but know struggle.

Thank you

Steve M

13 minutes ago, stevem49 said:

Morning all.

I am having a nightmare attempting to find Lt (Capt) George D'Rastrick Carr, RAMC in the London Gazette. He received an MiD 28 January 1916 and later one possibly more MC's (2 bars?).

He was attached to 9th battalion Sherwood Foresters and served on Gallipoli before being wounded/Ill in October. He was again with the battalion went they arrived in France in July 1916. Possibly served with them until March 1918. I have info from Ancestry, although apparently I have to pay more to get his 1918 and 1922 Army List forms. 

His medal card has 'MC' on it and a separate card has Mentioned in dispatches LG 28/1/16 page 120.

I would be obliged if someone with more expertise than me could give me an idea of our I delve into the mystery's of the LG.  I used to be able to search easily but know struggle.

Thank you

Steve M

Apologies if you've already seen this...courtesy of Findmypast 

Screenshot_20191116-102455.jpg

He was admitted to No 3 Casualty Clearing Station on 27/9/1916

Edited by sadbrewer

Many thanks. I'm only on Ancestry :)  If he received his Bar to MC north east of Ypres on 30 Oct 1917, he must already have left us by then. I shall give the LG another go with the info you have provided. 

Many thanks

Steve

8 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

He's been covered before on here....hope this fits the bill.

I must be getting old although being 2012 was a long time ago. His Nephew contacted me yesterday.

Thank you once again.

Steve

14 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

He's been covered before on here....hope this fits the bill.

Screenshot_20191116-103816.jpg

Imperial War Museum link...

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205291863

Wow, never found a photo of him before

Annotated version of MC LG shows Bar was for action near Thiepval 25(?)/9/16. Image courtesy National Archives

carr.jpg.eaa3817dfab440a0153fff17f77a5cd9.jpg

Edited by Mark1959

1 minute ago, Mark1959 said:

Annotated version of MC LG shows Bar was for action near Thiepval 25(?)/9/16. Image courtesy National Archives

carr.jpg.eaa3817dfab440a0153fff17f77a5cd9.jpg

Odd, The MC dated 2nd Feb 1916 must have been Gallipoli and they added Bar for Thiepval 26 September 1916 in that piece. We fought in Battle of Thiepval 26th to 28th September 1916 and lost heavily despite taking all objectives. 

Thanks

1 minute ago, Mark1959 said:

Image courtesy National Archives

carr2.jpg.06e63939732062f8659555e9dcbf8b79.jpg

Once again my thanks. The 63rd (RN) Division attacked on 30th October 1917 to the right of Poelcapelle - line - Source Trench - Varlet Farm - Bray Farm - Berks Houses.  Germans counter barraged caught attacking troops and they suffered severe casualties.

Witgh regard to his original MC. The lists for 2/2/1916 do not contain citations and having checked several of the officers I cannot find a citation for anyone on the list so far. Leads to 2 possible conclusions

1. Awards for general good service or

2. Clerical Omission

The index card shows he was presented with MC and Bar on same day in Sept 1917. His second bar was sent by post. Again thanks to the NA.

carr3.jpg.dd7b5ebdc5673caba516a3e69e0800ba.jpg

Edited by Mark1959

Possibly the  2/2/16 was for his work with the wounded in October 1915, when he was also wounded.  1st Bar consistent with Thiepval and 2nd Bar with his work on 30 October 1917. Amazing man and also wounded at least 3 times - October 1915, September 1916 and 1918. 

The original was also on Gallipoli and gallantry awards were not dished out so much as the powers that be saw it as a defeat and obviously made less awards! 

Once again my sincere thanks.

Steve

I cannot thank everyone enough. I struggled with the LG (not sure why) and you have surpassed yourself in the information supplied.

Thank you all

Steve