Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gloucestershire Regiment Pte Insignia

Simon J Emmerson

Hi Folks. Can anyone please enlighten me? Do you know what the arrangement of badges on this Pte's tunic sleeve indicate. My initial thoughts were Rifle Grenadier? 

Regards Simon. 

20191114_151944.jpg

They are separate badges I think.  The crossed rifles was specifically awarded for marksmanship.  The single, universal pattern grenade usually indicated a man trained as a bomber when worn on a sleeve.  They were not officially used together to indicate anything different.  The grenade was sometimes used on the upper sleeve in lieu of the cloth badge to indicate a trench mortarman.  Bomber badges were also often placed on the upper arm.  Sometimes the grenades were painted.

NB.  He seems very young and very small, almost the size of a 'bantam''.

Edited by FROGSMILE

It does seem like it is being used to signify something though rather than two separate badges.  Any reference to trained Rifle grenadiers being awarded badges? 

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

It does seem like it is being used to signify something though rather than two separate badges.  Any reference to trained Rifle grenadiers being awarded badges? 

I can only say that in many years reading and observing I cannot recall such a thing, but of course that does not mean it might not have happened.  Perhaps it was a unit thing, commanding officers held great sway as you know.  Fellow forum enthusiast, Muerrisch, might be able to offer more.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Agreed! It's rather interesting! 

Sorry, I cannot add substance. The "Rifle grenadier" [a man trained in expertise in firing rifle grenades] is a very plausible theory. This could well be a unit or Brigade virtually cost-free invention, and why not?

3 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Sorry, I cannot add substance. The "Rifle grenadier" [a man trained in expertise in firing rifle grenades] is a very plausible theory. This could well be a unit or Brigade virtually cost-free invention, and why not?

Yes, I agree, but for the benefit of the inquirer:

Unlike badges regulated at Army level it can only be recognised at a glance within the unit concerned.  It misuses badges intended for other purposes and creates difficulties for the quartermaster responsible for accounting for issues and maintenance of stocks.  It can lead to a culture of disregard for accepted practice and good order and military discipline.

Edited by FROGSMILE