Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Nurse at Chatham

Carnkie

Amy Florence Stoker was a nurse at Chatham when she met her husband Gerard Matson Jarritt RN in 1915.  He was in hospital for treatment although I cannot see this information on his Naval service records.

I wonder if anyone can identify the nurse uniform because I cannot find any nursing records for Amy Florence Stoker and wonder if perhaps she was some kind of auxiliary?

Stoker and Jarritt married on  29th September, 1915 at Chatham Registry Office. I do not have their marriage certificate nor have I seen it but understand that she was born circa 1891 and adopted. She died 17th May,1930.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

679E133E-1A6B-42A1-B0C0-FB66FC493691.jpeg

Thanks Alf McM

How interesting. Although I no longer have an account with FmP I was able to ascertain from the details that she was a waitress and got some compensation? Hmmm.

When she died, Gerard had to ask for some help from Barnados with the youngest of his seven children.  I got the information about “nursing” from the report written by the case officer. It does state that she had been a hospital nurse and that she met her husband when he had been in hospital.

He was in the Navy at the time.  Would he have been in the naval hospital in Chatham?

In case you do not have it, in 1911 she was a 20-year-old servant with the Spring family in Stoke Newington North, born in the parish of St John, Hackney in 1891 (could be 1890).

Gerard Jarritt's service record in ADM 188 shows him (on the watermarked preview option) as at PEMBROKE I at the time. This was a shore establishment for accommodation and accounting purposes and was indeed at Chatham. I suspect it wasn't differentiated from the hospital if he was only briefly a patient.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6771398

I realise that this is not the area for such a record but anyway... can anything interesting or unusual be gleaned from this.

The case worker report said that he had spent some time in the merchant navy but I can find no records of this.

504FAA81-5465-48A8-9208-45505ADE6982.jpeg

Is she or are they buried in Chatham 

Nothing unusual or noteworthy on the record. Given that he enlisted at age 15 in 1892, with civilian occupation of "Porter", previous merchant service is perhaps unlikely.