Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Marcus Hagan Royal Munster Fusiliers

Hi guys

I am new here and have been looking into my grandfathers experience in the Great War.

My grandfather was Private Marcus Hagan and he fought in the First World War. I have already found some information on him from Ancestry.co.uk and have located his medal record, or at least part of it.

He enlisted sometime in 1914 and was assigned to the 7th Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers with a regimental number of 5315.

His first deployment with 7 RMF was 9th July 1915 when he embarked from Liverpool to Gallipoli.

At some point he transferred to the 2nd Battalion RMF and then later still he transferred to the 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers with a regimental number of 40287.

I have also located a War Disability Pension page showing that he was awarded a disability pension for Dysentery. His war pension number was 12/MH/No.2114.

As you can see I have found out a reasonable amount of information but nothing at all about when he first enlisted, when he transferred from one battalion to another or when and where he was posted.

I am especially interested in finding out what theatres he fought in and when as well as any other awards or commendations he may have received other than the medal "Trio" listed in the medal cards I have already seen which are dated after the war ended.

I know for example that he rescued a Captain Derby (Darby?) at some point and wonder if this was officially recognised. I know this happened as the letter of thanks from Captain Derby still exists in the family and I have seen it.

Perhaps some additional information exists in the War Diaries.

Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Guest

As a start point are you aware of the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association website: https://www.rmfa92.org/history/

It contains a useful overview of the regiment, including an outline of the activity of its WW1 battalions.

There is also useful information on the regimental numbers issued to RMF soldiers, along with other historical references here: http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/10/royal-munster-fusiliers-1st-2nd.html?m=1

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 9 months later...

From the serial number, my guess would be that he was transferred from 7th or 8th R Inniskilling Fusiliers (49th Bde 16th Division) to the 10th (Irish) division, 7th Munster in this case, around May 1915

Hope you got the information you were seeking Alanoh.

Thanks Frogsmile to the link with regards to RMF regimental numbers and when they might have joined up.

I am interested in another RMF Pte John Mahony 8566 (1RMF) and when I look up the numbering on the aforementioned it indicates between Feb 1907 and Sept 1908.

However, the site warns ...note though that these numbers are only for regular enlistments. Special Reserve and Extra Reserve battalions operated completely separate regimental number sequences.

How do I determine if my man was a regular or reserve enlistment?

Sorry for hijacking your post Alanoh but maybe this might interest you as well.