Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DUCKWORTH Albert Robinson. Pte. PLY614S. PLYMOUTH Bn RMLI.

nicktamarensis

Hello,

I'm researching the fallen servicemen who were once in the service of the Hull & Barnsley Rly.  An A. R. Duckworth appears on the company Roll of Honour and so I'm assuming the CWGC record correctly links to this man., However, because of difference in service rank there might be some doubt as to whether he has been correctly identified. There is another possibility it might be DUCKWORTH JOHN who was an AB with the ANSON Bn.  Both men died at Gallipoli.  The confusion arises because an existing record I have (the 1919 list of names which was part of the St Paul's Cathedral service) lists Albert Robinson as an AB whereas the CWGC data lists him as a Pte.  However, John Duckworth is listed by the CWGC as an AB and I'm just wondering if there has been a mix up somewhere.  The H&BR records state that A.R. was a signalman on the railway, but I have no proof of that nor do I have either man's attestation which would prove it one way or the other. Only one Duckworth is recorded by the H&BR on their list and I' hoping that A.R. is indeed the man in question.

Any light anyone can throw to clarify matters would be very much appreciated. 

Nick.

Nick

ARDs service record is on ADM159/176/614 on the Kew Discovery database.Private PL614S. Enlisted 10 Nov 1914. B Company Plymouth RMLI.The preview of the record,when enlarged can be read, otherwise it costs £3.50. He is mentioned there as a Railway signalman. Born Leeds 1890. Living at 49 Snydale Road,Cudworth in the 1911 census, he is shown there as a signalman also.

I show also two photos, which you may have seen already:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56008351

Edited by sotonmate

A Duckworth from Cudworth certainly had an interest in Railway matters....from the Barnsley Chronicle of 1910, courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20191115-101700.jpg

Pct A R Duckworth is also on Cudworth's war memorial.

Edited by sadbrewer

Thank you very much gentlemen.  Invaluable material.

Are there any copyright issues with the photographic material?

Nick.