Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th (Service) Battalion, Devonshire Regiment

Alan Fewtrell

My Great Uncle Charles Henry Fewtrell served with the 9th Battalion, Devonshire Regiment. He was killed on 5th January 1917 at Beaumont-Hamel, Picardy. France. I'm told he was killed by a sniper, which is quite specific. Where could I find the war diary for that date?

War Diary is no help in respect of your subject being killed by a sniper specifically. WO95/1656/1 and is a 3 unit composite diary.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352414

The Diary narrative has no ref to casualties on the day of 5 Jan (front line trenches Beaumont Hamel),but does have an Appendix page at the end of the month which shows casualties for 5 Jan as 2 Officers wounded, Other Ranks 2 killed, 3 missing believed killed (and it is here that 12582 Pte C Fewtrell is listed) and 9 wounded.

The Diary entry for the 5th does say that HOPE POST was surprised and taken by the Germans, probably between 5 and 6 pm, assuming that here is where the casualties occurred.

Edited by sotonmate

• 10 months later...
On 14/11/2019 at 17:49, Alan Fewtrell said:

My Great Uncle Charles Henry Fewtrell served with the 9th Battalion, Devonshire Regiment. He was killed on 5th January 1917 at Beaumont-Hamel, Picardy. France. I'm told he was killed by a sniper, which is quite specific. Where could I find the war diary for that date?

My Great Grand Uncle Sampson Edward Bastable (often listed as S E Bastable) was part of the Devonshire Regiment, 9th Battalion killed on 4th January 1917 at Beaumont Hamel. They might have known each other! If you do happen across any info regarding him, I'd really appreciate any info you could give and similarly I'll keep my eyes open for Charles Henry Fewtrell.

On 14/11/2019 at 17:49, Alan Fewtrell said:

I've found a mention of him here

war diary capture.JPG