Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Anglesey Royal Engineers Special Reserve

derekb

Good Day Everyone,

Whilst gathering information regarding Lieutenant Francis Joseph Heyes who served with the Royal Anglesey Royal Engineers, I have found the designation "Special Reserve", could you tell me what this means.

Regards,

Derekb.

Derekb,

There were two regiments of RE Special Reserves in 1914, the Royal Anglesey (based at Beaumaris) and the Royal Monmouthshire (based at Monmouth).  The RAREs went into suspended animation in due course, but the RMRE are still in existence - the oldest unit of the  current Army Reserves: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Monmouthshire_Royal_Engineers

They supplied a number of Siege and Railway Companies to the forces in the field, and officers could also be attached as individuals to the "ordinary" RE.  

Derekb

The 1916 WD of No 2 Siege (Holyhead) Co RA RE (SR) (WO 95/403/7) mentions 2/Lt F J Heyes on 05/01/1916 in charge of a section laying a light railway for carrying ammunition to Batteries. He is also mentioned on 05/07, 03/08 and lastly on 16/08 when he and five named Sappers were wounded by a shell on the Englebemer Auchonvillers road. 

Brian

3 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Derekb

The 1916 WD of No 2 Siege (Holyhead) Co RA RE (SR) (WO 95/403/7) mentions 2/Lt F J Heyes on 05/01/1916 in charge of a section laying a light railway for carrying ammunition to Batteries. He is also mentioned on 05/07, 03/08 and lastly on 16/08 when he and five named Sappers were wounded by a shell on the Englebemer Auchonvillers road. 

Brian

Thanks Brian, one document states that at some stage he was “attached to the Royal Artillery “

D

My thanks to you all for your replies.

D.