Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this hat Ww1 or later seal skin

arantxa

This came from the chap who brought the knife in he couldn’t remember if it was his uncles who was in Korea or his dads from ww1

6F0467B4-A60B-475B-8981-28D71E6A2CA9.jpeg

EFF4A5BB-94BE-4896-9868-88D598DC01F2.jpeg

BF74CCBA-F32F-4589-B746-C38C0326F317.jpeg

EA565077-750C-432C-9D74-4D56252C73C8.jpeg

My recollection is that these hats are 1919 onwards.

Either way, the letters (P and S) over the WD and number is a post-war issue marking.

Cheers,

GT.

Thank you are they for the arctic ?

Men of the 1/9th Hampshire Regiment on the Trans Siberian Railway between Vladivostok and Omsk - December 1918. Wearing the caps plus snow goggles.

Mike

File0102.jpg.20c4a2c5b86787783902d922c6f33c63.jpg

That is fantastic I guess no other markings. There is a name so will take a picture of it 

The hats worn for the expedition to Russia were of a specifically Canadian design long used by the British Army with a distinctive, rather pointed top.  Looking at the overall shape and construction methods used for the cap photographed by arantxa, I think it’s more likely to be of Korean War issue.  The designs were quite similar.  It will be interesting to see what further can be ascertained.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 weeks later...

Any one else got any ideas ?

20 hours ago, arantxa said:

Any one else got any ideas ?

In WW1, the inspection mark letters corresponded to a clothing depot (e.g. O = Olympia, P = Pimlico).

Towards WW2, from around 1936 at least, these letters corresponded to dates.

In the particular, S corresponded to 1938 and 1957; while P related to 1941 or 1947.

Cheers,

GT.

12 hours ago, Wardog said:

Now on ebay.

From the description: "i cant find anything about it"

Yeah... right.

From other items, plainly a dealer. And from other posts here, seems like someone mining the forum for sales purposes.

One not to bother with in future then.

Cheers,

GT.

Hello

im not a dealer day I have a big collection and stuff I don’t want I sell to buy other stuff I presumed the whole purpose of this site was to discuss and find what items are if one doesn’t known 

if I was a dealer I wouldn’t have this in my spare room  I also do programmes for the BBc give lectures and books and do lots of talks at schools

08C46201-99BD-4ABD-AD18-12129020BC56.jpeg

The description of your cap now for sale is misleading to prospective buyers. It has nothing to do with the 1919 Archangel Expedition or operations in North Russia. As GT has already stated the marking is definitely post WW1 dating the cap to either the 1930s or 1950s.