Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was an ASC Divisional Train Coy tightly attached to it's Brigade?

KernelPanic

I hope this question makes sense and that I'm correctly understanding the working relationship between the Train Coys and the various Divisional Brigades.

As I try to trace my great grandfather's tracks through Flanders in 1915 (he was a 50th Division ASC HT Driver), I'm wondering how Divisional Infantry and Artillery Brigades were supplied by their ASC Train Companies if they temporarily moved from one Divisional command to another.

Did the ASC Company follow the Brigade to the new Division, or was the Brigade's supply requirements picked up by an ASC Coy from the new Division? Or did it depend on the circumstances? It seems more efficient to me that they would transfer together.

I've tried to figure this out from the 50th Divisional Train WD, but it's not that clear. Unfortunately it provides little detail about the Train's operations throughout 1915. It mostly just says where the Coy HQs were and what the OC was doing day by day.

Thanks.

Or did it depend on the circumstances? It seems more efficient to me that they would transfer together.

It would most likely depend on the circumstances, it wasn't uncommon for units to be supplied by other divisions as and when required.

Craig

Thanks Craig. Given that his service record is gone, I'm surprised how much I can piece together from the various Divisional and relevant Corps diaries, and some medical records we have for him. But in the end I think the best I can do is generate an overall picture of the locations and movements of the various units, and try and link those with what the 50th Train was doing. Hence my question.