Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ribécourt France 1918

Laurent

Laurent,

Given the proximity of the three knocked-out tanks, could it be some of those that were supposedly destroyed by a lone German gunner? (Battle of Cambrai, 1917)

It is obviously some way behind the lines by the people standing about, but there is not a lot of vegetation on the ground. I wonder whether it was taken in spring 1918, as the Germans I don't think reached Ribecourt when they counter-attacked in 1917. HOwever I don't know what happened there in the German spring offensives.

If you DO tie these tanks down to Ribecourt and the Battle of Cambrai I would be interested in a good-quality copy of the photo - my grandfather was almost certainly in the 11th Essex when they followed the tanks into Ribecourt-la-Tours.

Adrian

Gibot / Gorczynski in 'Following the Tanks' have this photo and the story of how the three were knocked out here. They are E.18, E.17 'Egypt II' and Wire Cutter 'Euryalus' and they were indeed stopped by 8 Batterie Feld-Artillerie-Regiment 108 just after they had crossed the Ribecourt - Flesquieres road (seen in the foreground) by the chateau gates where the water tower is now and where the Memorial is being developed. Not many people would now call this Ribecourt!

Graham,

You sound as though you know the place - can I assume from your answer that the three tanks are further out from the village than the 11th Essex (part of 6th Div) would have been? And I'm also guessing that they were probably part of the first wave rather than the second that the 11th Essex were in - am I right?

It sounds like a potentialy very interesting book - does it throw any more light on (yes, you've guessed!) 6th Divs role at Ribecourt?

Adrian

Sorry Adrian - I can't find anything about 11th Essex, only 9th, who were round to the south of Cambrai at Bonavis. Or much about 6th Division -the book is really about the Tank Reg, not infantry. 62nd and 6th seem to have been stuck south of Flesquieres (i.e. around Ribecourt) for the afternoon waiting to be summoned to move up behind the tanks. The famously independent Gen Harper declined their help, while watching the Germans destroy all his tanks with great ease (allegedly - see other strands on that topic).

Ah well, feared that might be the case, but still hoped that "X of Tank Corps was followed by Y Battalion might crop up". Thanks for looking! Given the tiny number of casualties they took on the opening day (4 ORs killed comes to mind, but my source is 100 miles away to check) and the fact that they were in a second wave to go through Ribecourt "mopping up" it sounds like they had it easy! Shame they weren't so lucky in March 1918...

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had a look at Horsfall & Cave's 'Flesquieres' in Leo Cooper's 'Battleground Europe' series. This has loads of references to the events at Ribecourt, and all about the 11th Essex, who at this time were part of the 71st Brigade, who were part of the 6th Division. Got all that? I felt quite chuffed that I could recite it, as I usually know nothing about regiments. You can usually get the books for under a tenner, so well worth it as I think it would answer any questions you might find you have, and it would take me hours to type out the pages (around 60) with references!

Hope you don't feel we've hijacked your innocent request for a photo ident, Laurent. I don't think anything at Cambrai is ever simple.

Cheers

Whooooooooooooooooosh!

That's the sound of me heading for Blackwells! Brilliant, Graham, thank you VERY much for that!

Adrian

Edited 16.30hrs - sat here clutching book, with map showing the 11th Essex position at the start of the attack.

Graham, THANK YOU!

Laurent,

The book Graham suggested to me has two more views of these tanks in it as well. If they are of interest to you, the book is only a few pounds on Amazon...

Adrian