Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th South Staffs nominal roll

djakacg

Hello could anyone tell me where I can access  the nominal rolls and what information I may obtain from them ,I am looking for my G/F T D Gee and my uncle Enoch W Davis who both lived in Bloxwich and  joined in 1915 ,I know they died in 1916 and there burial sites or monument entries  but I am now trying to fill in any little details,that aren't available to we mere amateur genealogists .

regards

David

David,

I have researched these men but am on my Kindle at the moment.

Will post details in the morning.

In the meantime what do you know about these men and do you have photographs of them ???

Regards,

Graemw

Actually, having looked in previous threads, these have been discussed before, and photos posted.

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

Morning,

Gee was in "D" Company. He was sent to hospital on 29 August 1915 (no cause given). Died of wounds 4 April 1916.

David was born in Bloxwich on Wednesday 18 July 1877 to John and Sarah (née Sylvester) Gee of 18, The Park, Bloxwich, his mother predeceasing him in 1900. His father made his living as a coal miner.

His brother, John, is also commemorated on the roll of honour.

David was married to Maud Beatrice Davis at Walsall in 1904 and then resided at 7, Foster Street, Blakenall with his wife and five children whose ages ranged from eleven years to two years when he died. Tragically his wife had a baby whilst he was at the front, Laura, but she died shortly afterwards.

Employed at the Wood Farm Colliery, David enlisted in the Army at Walsall in January 1915, being drafted to France on Monday 28 June 1915. He was invalided home from the front in December 1915 with a stomach problem but recovered sufficiently to return to his battalion in the New Year.

A letter from Second Lieutenant Goodison to his widow explained that he had been struck in the side by a fragment of shell and had died a few minutes afterwards.

“I regret to inform you that your husband, 199 Gee, was killed in action on Sunday. I was standing near him at the time when a pitch of a shell hit him in the side and he died shortly afterwards.”

he did not die 'shortly afterwards', he was removed to either the 42nd and 30th Casualty Clearing Station at Aubigny where he succumbed to his injuries two days later.

Davis was in "C" Company,

Enoch was born in Blakenall to Enoch and Eliza Ann (née Emery) Davis of 6, Chapel Street, Blakenall, his father being a coal miner.

He married Fanny Beech at Walsall in 1911 and then resided at 23, Alfred Street, Bloxwich.

Employed as a loader at the Fair Lady Colliery, Heath Hayes, Enoch enlisted in the South Staffordshire Regiment at Walsall on Friday 17 September 1915, his initial regimental number of 1125 being renumbered to 201495.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

Hi and thank you for taking time out to reply ,I wasn't aware that Enoch was in C co.  as I say its the filling in parts such as the Dec 1915 illness that I am interested in and  any medical records. I know that when Thomas was injured he was probably taken to 30 ccs but the diary is vague ,i cannot see where he was treated for his Stomach complaint and would be interested in finding out more . Both sets of Records were unfortunately  destroyed so its hard to put meat on the bones of the men so to speak and maybe these obscure files may tell me more,i noticed that one file i saw whilst looking mentioned a tattoo for instance on another unconnected soldier ,  a little detail  but personal, some may mention scars from their civilian lives or actually John Gee my uncle had a problem with his toes crossing,and his eyesight was poor,. My apologies if I appear to be going over old ground ,it is little oddities that I am seeking , and the knowledge on this forum is immense

Edited by djakacg
date correction

On 14/11/2019 at 05:36, GraemeClarke said:

Morning,

Graeme

you are getting some great details for these men.

Are you finding the dates of birth from standard census records etc or do you have a Military source/database/nominal roll specifically for the 1/5th  ?

I am still stuck with a George WALKER 15896 1/5th South Staffs man. I can't link him to a date of birth. (you have looked at him before for me)

Martin

Hi Martin,

Cannot recall now, its been years since I researched Walsall and area rolls of honour. I would imagine that it was from Ancestry records.

I do have Elson's book on the 1/5th and this sometimes gives company details and dates of hospital admittances,

George was in "C" Company and was wounded to hospital on 29 April 1918, the day he died..

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke