Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Appleton killed WW1

MoodieCheshire

Arthur Appleton born 1898 in West Meon Hampshire was Killed in WW1,.

brother of private Josiah Appleton 9311 3rd Rifle Brigade.

i can't seem to find any records that I'm confident I could say are him! Any help as always would be greatly recieved !

On 1911 Census I find a William Arthur Appleton, born 1898 West Meon Hants, who had a brother Josiah (same name as Dad,Mum Emma).

The same family call him Arthur in the 1901 Census,residence 5 Woodlands, Bramdean.

I see no clear entry for him in war dead. There are several Arthur Appletons in CWGC war dead under that name most of them eliminated by family info or another Christian name, not William, added to Arthur.

Taking a look at RN now.

Later:No RN hits. One William Arthur in service records,now eliminated as he was from Stratford E.London, and survived the war to pension.

Edited by sotonmate

Josiah Appleton 9311 3rd Rifle Brigade born 1886 in West Meon Hampshire died of wounds 4/1/1915. According to an Ancestry Family tree he was one of 14 siblings and his much younger brother William Arthur Appleton was born 1896 West Meon Hampshire - died July 1977 Droxford, Hampshire. There is a surviving service record for Josiah showing  was a pre war regular enlisting in 1902.

Thank you Gents! 

I Have Josiah's full records which was badly water damaged during bombing in WW2, and also know in which CWGC in France he's buried.

planing a trip over to pay respects next year.

the information given for Arthur I have is from my Uncle, who gave me a 1901 census page from Ancestry.co.uk !

and on mine copy only gives a estimated date of birth and listed as Arthur . So William now makes sense why I could not find him.

and Maybe this information has been updated on there website as was old information??

he has as you correctly stated Father Josiah Mother Emma Sisters Elizabeth Emma Flora Irene Lily Louisa Maud and May!

and I can't see anymore Siblings ? Any other names that can be added to that will be new information and Very Exciting!

My other Uncle has always been told William "Arthur" Appleton died in WW1!  So like yourselves started at the CWGC and quickly discounted them!!! 

Will keep looking for him and chase up the info Droxford 1977 info to.

thank you very much for your continued help .

regards Darren

1911 Census should have shown total number of children from the marriage, it looks like only those living at home were counted.

1911 names and ages: Josiah 24,Agnes May 17,WA 13,Grace Irene 10,Catherine Mary 9, and Herbert TSJ 7.