Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin sinks British ship

David Filsell

I am just reading a copy of The Zeppelins by Captain Ernest Lehmann & Howard Mingos published in 1927. A fascinating read. It records that a British ship was sunk by a Zeppelin. I can find no record of such an event , can any forumistas confirm, deny or add any details please

Regards

David

Edited by David Filsell

Hi David

Somewhere I read that Zeppelin Z28 (L5), appeared overhead towards the end of the Battle of Dogger Bank (Jan 1915). l will endeavour to find out where I saw it written.
It is totally plausible, in this case, as most of its operational life was spent on North Sea reconnaissance.
As regards to sinking a ship, I’m sure there would be some written evidence, and plenty of eye-witness accounts.

John

7 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi David

Somewhere I read that Zeppelin Z28 (L5), appeared overhead towards the end of the Battle of Dogger Bank (Jan 1915). l will endeavour to find out where I saw it written.
It is totally plausible, in this case, as most of its operational life was spent on North Sea reconnaissance.
As regards to sinking a ship, I’m sure there would be some written evidence, and plenty of eye-witness accounts.

John

I think the incident is well-known - it attacked the sinking armoured cruiser SMS Blucher, mistaking it for a British batllecruiser due to its tripod masts, but the main effect was to interrupt British rescue attempts of her crew. I think you'd find a reference to it in any but the sketchiest account of the battle.

Thanks MikB

The naval side of the war is something I am unsure of, as I said I could remember seeing it written down but not sure of the source.

Can you help out with David’s query then?

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Thanks MikB

The naval side of the war is something I am unsure of, as I said I could remember seeing it written down but not sure of the source.

Can you help out with David’s query then?

Not with real certainty. I don't believe it likely that an airship could bomb accurately from a safe height (for them), nor that it had lifting capability for enough bombs for multiple serious attempts - and I don't think I've heard of any such success. I think if one had occurred it would be famous enough to appear in any account of the zeppelin war.

But I may stand corrected.

I've just checked and found that the bombing story by zeppelin L5 at Dogger Bank is not correct - it was a German seaplane that made the identification error and dropped bombs shortly afterwards. Apologies for that.

I was remembering a contemporary account ('Sea Fights of The Great War') that attributed the bombs to the zeppelin.

Edited by MikB

So what I think I read ( It could well have been “Sea Fights of the Great War) was in fact incorrect.....I was in fact perpetuating a myth🤣

Sorry David,Thanks MikB

Easy to conflate incidents that were nearly simultaneous in a busy battle.

Even some accounts that mention the seaplane also *suggest* that the zeppelin also attacked, but don't say with what. I'm inclined to go with Massey in 'Castles Of Steel', who reports one of the zeppelin's officers as saying they didn't bomb, because the cloud layer was low enough for them to be sure of getting shot down if they descended below it.

Edited by MikB

I believe the ship being referenced is the Franz Fischer of 957 grt commonly listed as being bombed and sunk by a Zeppelin on February 1, 1916 off the Kentish Knock LV. Recent research, however, has established that the steamer had in fact been torpedoed by the German submarine UB 17.

Link: https://uboat.net/wwi/ships_hit/7399.html

Thank you all. 

I feel therefore I would be correct in claiming a 'not proven'.

Overall it is a fascinating book but very, very, poorly edited.

I get the feeling that Captain Ernst A Lehmann probably dictated his story to Howard Mingus in the US and his words were transcribed and only very hastily edited when typed up.

Although the most senior officer on board when the Hindenburg disaster took place on 6th of May 1937 Lehmann was not commanding craft.  He died The day after the disaster from burns convinced the airship was sabotaged.

Regards

David

Edited by David Filsell

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 18:39, Michael Lowrey said:

I believe the ship being referenced is the Franz Fischer of 957 grt commonly listed as being bombed and sunk by a Zeppelin on February 1, 1916 off the Kentish Knock LV. Recent research, however, has established that the steamer had in fact been torpedoed by the German submarine UB 17.

Link: https://uboat.net/wwi/ships_hit/7399.html

What nationality was the Franz Fischer as she sounds German .

13 minutes ago, nils d said:

What nationality was the Franz Fischer as she sounds German .

When lost, British. She was built in 1881 by Irvine & Co., West Hartlepool for Hardy, Wilson & Co., West Hartlepool as Rocklands but sold to Gebr. Petersen, Flensburg in 1896. In 1913, F. W. Fischer, Rostock acquired the old steamer and renamed her Franz Fischer. She was seized at Shearness in August 1914 and became an Admiralty requisition with Everett & Newbigin serving as managers. The name wasn't changed.

3 minutes ago, Michael Lowrey said:

When lost, British. She was built in 1881 by Irvine & Co., West Hartlepool for Hardy, Wilson & Co., West Hartlepool as Rocklands but sold to Gebr. Petersen, Flensburg in 1896. In 1913, F. W. Fischer, Rostock acquired the old steamer and renamed her Franz Fischer. She was seized at Shearness in August 1914 and became an Admiralty requisition with Everett & Newbigin serving as managers. The name wasn't changed.

Michael, thanks for the prompt and detailed reply.

Personally , l wouldve changed the name !

Noted, thank you. Certainly, like most wartime accounts written post event, his book contains some 'beliefs, i.e. Not deliberate 'over claiming' which are erroneous - but I think he notes that the raid failed because the train was not where expected. Equally there seems to be no proof for the statement that a Zepp. sank a Briish ship.

• 1 year later...

Re: S.S. Franz Fischer. Very surprised and interested to come across all this information while browsing.  My maternal grandfather, Harry Patterson, went down with this ship.  I have the survivor's story so always thought the cause was the zeppelin  but I could never resolve the idea of zeppelins dropping bombs.  I felt the mine story was credible but this is first time I heard the submarine theory .   Incidentally, Grandpa was born to German parents in Montrose, Scotland.(??)so understandably changed his very Germanic name. 

Cheers, everyone, you've made my day.

I had a look at the Royal Navy's official history, the Naval Staff Monograph (Vol. 15, p. 65). It also concludes that Franz Fischer was torpedoed by UB 17.

3 hours ago, Michael Lowrey said:

I had a look at the Royal Navy's official history, the Naval Staff Monograph (Vol. 15, p. 65). It also concludes that Franz Fischer was torpedoed by UB 17.

thank you so much for your prompt answer , with more research to follow up and information to add to the file.

regards, shirmac  

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2021 at 09:39, shirmac said:

Re: S.S. Franz Fischer. Very surprised and interested to come across all this information while browsing.  My maternal grandfather, Harry Patterson, went down with this ship.  I have the survivor's story so always thought the cause was the zeppelin  but I could never resolve the idea of zeppelins dropping bombs.  I felt the mine story was credible but this is first time I heard the submarine theory .   Incidentally, Grandpa was born to German parents in Montrose, Scotland.(??)so understandably changed his very Germanic name. 

Cheers, everyone, you've made my day.

This may be interesting if you've never seen it before.

Screenshot_20210504-133334.jpg.638c52961b08edb8c277c0381ca5f22f.jpg

There was a Thames sailing barge by the name of ‘John Evelyn’ that got hit and set ablaze by an incendiary bomb dropped by a Schütte-Lanz Airship (SL.2) during the night of 7/8th September 1915. The unfortunate vessel was loading cargo alongside Snowden’s Wharf in London’s Millwall Docks. Both the Master & the Mate received extensive burns.

MB

So about half the size of a Thames sailing barge, (in tonnage terms), thanks for the clarification.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD