Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sandhillls camp on the somme

rollercoaster

Bit more of a clue please?  Perhaps a date for the entry in the diary (which may also give an approximate location)?  Can't see anything in Rats Alley.

Edited by Don Regiano

I have just checked the 60th Brigade diary for August 1916 and it states, "21 August Brigade moved to the Sand Pits map ref 62D E 18

Any use?

John

Edited by John Milner

Checked brigade diaries from August to December 1916 and besides the post above, the only other one was, "9 December 12th KRR to Sandpits".

Cannot find any reference to Sand Hill in brigade diaries/movement orders.

John

60 Bde diary for 9 Oct 1916 refers to the battalions moving to camp at Sandpits.  The 12 KRRC diary for the same day calls the place to which they moved Sandpits Valley Camp.

Haven't found "Sand hills camp" as in the original post.

Max

Thank you for your trouble.

It looks like the camp was known as Sand pit valley camp and not sand hills camp, although it seems there was a sand hills camp in Wiltshire.

The one I was looking for is the one you correctly identified as being s e  of  Meaulte

Many thanks

John

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 15:35, John Milner said:

I have just checked the 60th Brigade diary for August 1916 and it states, "21 August Brigade moved to the Sand Pits map ref 62D E 18

Any use?

John

Thanks John

That looks like the camp I am looking for

regds

John

5 hours ago, rollercoaster said:

Thank you for your trouble.

It looks like the camp was known as Sand pit valley camp and not sand hills camp, although it seems there was a sand hills camp in Wiltshire.

The one I was looking for is the one you correctly identified as being s e  of  Meaulte

Many thanks

John

Do you know whereabouts Sand Hills camp is/was in Wiltshire?

It was at Long bridge Deverill

When I looked it up there are references to a concert party and on the village web site a link to the training are

hope this helps

1 hour ago, rollercoaster said:

It was at Long bridge Deverill

When I looked it up there are references to a concert party and on the village web site a link to the training are

hope this helps

Thanks. It is visible on Google Earth when you use the time shift option and view 1945.