Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Police from Northamptonshire serving in the Military

Uptodat

Great picture, thank you again KCT. 
I found the earlier (Enlistment 27/3/1895) Military Record on FMP (Wo Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913).  It shows NOK as father, Ambrose Bates of Rothwell (mis-transcribed on the record as Rathwell.) In the record he answered the question about previous  previous military experience "No, except in the Militia in which I am still serving".
I guess he travelled out of County to enlist in 1901 & kept his previous service quiet for fear of rejection, having been previously subject to discharge on medical grounds? And he was probably nervous about the threat of 2 years imprisonment with hard labour, for giving wilfully false answers to questions!
The newspaper mention was in the Buckinghamshire Advertiser and North Bucks Free Press of 2/2/1901, p.5. "Applications for enrolment are received daily at the Barracks by Sergt.-Major Plaxton. In addition the names published on page 2, the following were enrolled on Thursday: William Blair, Colchester. Charles Samuel Bates, Kettering. Ross Markham, Peterborough. The officers were present at the Barracks yesterday (Friday), and the next draft of enrolled men will be despatched to Aldershot on Monday next." 
Quite a remarkable life story!