Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal engraving

Richard Matlock

Not strictly a Great War question so sorry, does anyone know or have used a company that could engrave the edge of a medal ? 

Rich M 

• Admin
5 hours ago, Richard Matlock said:

Not strictly a Great War question so sorry, does anyone know or have used a company that could engrave the edge of a medal ? 

Rich M 

A Google search gives you plenty of alternatives 

Ken

2 hours ago, Richard Matlock said:

sorry if I upset you Ken

Rich,    I don't think Ken was necessarily upset.  The engraving of an existing medal is somewhat questionable and generally not done.  There may be exceptions, but it is unusual.  Just saying.

engraving an erased medal is against the forums feelings, the problem engraving new copy ones is the thought that somewhere along the line they may get passed off as originals. ok until the current custodian of the original issued ones has to justify their originality

without knowing the reason why, its the sort of answer you will get.

Edited by chaz

Sorry all , didn't think of that angle , quite rightly suspicious just to explain the medals are mine some of which are engraved but a couple of others aren't I thought it would be nice to get them all engraved to personalise them but also to show my career when I got them.

thanks all Rich M 

Rich, My two-pennyworth. If they didn't come impressed with your name, etc. then leave them as "nature intended". If your medals are kept together then this will be understood. Future generations will accept that that is how they were issued but if you tinker with them then uncertainty creeps in as to "why".

Rich,     Think of the third great grand child a hundred years from now trying to figure out the "why" of the irregularity to Great Papa's medals?  Just frame them up and keep any documents.  Hopefully they'll all stay together. 

got to disagree- I have some 1935 / 1937 jubilee/ coronation medals privately named in the same style to the Coldstream Gds  - I'm pleased they did - all adds to the story

Should I ever qualify for an unnamed medal Ill get it engraved same as Rich

2 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

got to disagree

Now you sound like Grumpy !  It is, after all, another one of those all encompassing "personal choices".  I wouldn't.  We could go on for days yes or no-ing.  That's why I suggested to Rich if he did, to keep some kind of paper trail for those future family or collectors.

I'll buy the last round, and then I'm out the door. 

Edited by bif

On 17/11/2019 at 16:51, Richard Matlock said:

the medals are mine some of which are engraved but a couple of others aren't 

As a matter of interest, Richard, are some of these WW2 medals?

No the medals are jubilee types so only 15 odd years old , the comment by bif about great papa medals has just made me laugh out loud , I will have a think about my next move , all opinions have been greatly appreciated 

Rich M 

Rich,   I am now old enough where I have to think about those things.  Interesting situation.  Thanks for sharing.       Best, bif

you can always get unnamed ones if you change your mind - one one will ever know.....

• 2 weeks later...

WW1 medals were stamped not engraved. Engraving particularly with laser looks cheap and not authentic. My advice would be to invest in a set of 3mm die stamps and do it yourself. Practice to get it right.

On 20/11/2019 at 14:02, Richard Matlock said:

No the medals are jubilee types so only 15 odd years old , the comment by bif about great papa medals has just made me laugh out loud , I will have a think about my next move , all opinions have been greatly appreciated 

Rich M 

If you are having the recent Jubilee medals named (engraved or impressed) be very careful, with especially the 2002 Jubilee Medal. It can cause the plating to flake off!!!!