Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SWAK - Sealed With A Kiss on soldier's mail

Moonraker

Recently I won this card on eBay, the attraction being the "skeleton" camp postmark, the first I've seen for Chisledon. ("Double-ring" postmarks for this camp  are far more common, though mostly only in fair condition.)SWAK.jpg.471375a88fb6cfcf8ec2f4bdeae6a98e.jpg

However, the annotation "SWAK" is also of interest, presumably standing for "Sealed With a Kiss". A quick Google leads to dictionaries suggesting first known usages c1925.

Such romantic acronyms were quite common on WWII mail ("SWALK", "BURMA" etc) but has anyone seen examples on WWI correspondence?

Moonraker

I had a feeling that some members would be unable to resist compiling a list (though there are several already on the Web) and I wondered which one would start it off. :) I do hope we can limit any additions to examples of known WWI usage, rather than see how many off-topic posts it takes to disturb our Mods.

Moonraker

I've seen SWALK  - loving kiss.

W.E.G. Cocks-

Only married about 6 years to wife Lilian.

CENSUS 1911

Name:    William Edgar Cocks
Age in 1911:    31
Estimated birth year:    abt 1880
Relation to Head:    Head
Birth Place:    Penryn, Cornwall
Civil Parish:    Helston:    Cornwall
Street address:    2 St Michaels Terrace, Helston
Marital status:    Married
Years Married:    1
Estimated Marriage Year:    1910

Edited by Kath

I have letters from a soldiers mother that she sent to him at the front. they all have on the sticky part of the envelope "SWALK" all from 1916, sadly the last letter she sent to him wondering why he has not replied, she received the dreaded letter saying he had been killed.I have his medals and death plaque also, a very poignant reminder.  Ian.

The OED entry dates no earlier than 1925. If anyone has an image with dated postmark or direct source to earlier printed reference I'll happily forward it to my OED lexicographer friend for inclusion and updating (the dictionary does now include non-print references).

I did wonder about bringing my card to the attention of the OED but couldn't readily spot a way of doing this, Jane. Unless someone else posts an image earlier than October 20, 1916 in the next few days, please feel free to copy my scan and forward it.

Moonraker

@Bombadier, the OED is also interested in American sources if you can provide a reference to your 1911/09 occurrence.

@Moonraker I've forwarded yours to the address my friend gave me.

For future reference that address is oed dot uk @ oup dot com.