Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vickers P07

sgt-maj

It's absolutely amazing what one finds on ones travels. On Saturday I took myself out on a pleasant car ride to a Military Antiques Fair, and one of my favourite Antique Markets. The weather wasn't all that agreeable, but it turned out to be quite a nice day after all. I picked up two lovely items for my collection, one at each venue.

Here is what came home with me from the Military Antiques Fair... a Vickers manufactured P07 - 4/18 (April 1918) dated.

Apart from a little pitting along the blade at various points, its in reasonable condition. The ricasso stampings are quite light, especially those for the left ricasso, with the Vickers name and logo only just visible. No markings to the scabbard at first inspection.

It now joins the rest of my Vickers family.

Vickers 4-18.JPG

Vickers 4-18b.JPG

Vickers 4-18c.JPG

Vickers 4-18e.JPG

Vickers 4-18d.JPG

Nice example, I found a Vickers, my one and only, earlier this year.

Mike.

11 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Nice example, I found a Vickers, my one and only, earlier this year.

Mike.

Likewise here,

I like the scabbard in its brown finish, all in all a nice combination sgt-maj, thanks for sharing.

Dave.

SgtMaj,

A nice addition, and a very sweet collection if the Vickerssss!

Regards,

JMB

1 hour ago, MikeyH said:

… I found a Vickers, my one and only, earlier this year.

Mike.

Mike... What production date is your Vickers? Due to Vickers production and delivery dates being so sporadic, I started a tally a couple of years ago of those I've seen, and of those which collectors had acquired. One of the more common dates is '8-18', of which I have a further two... thinking initially that they may be either a 3, 6, or 9. Detailed inspection has proved them to '8'.

1 hour ago, sgt-maj said:

Mike... What production date is your Vickers? Due to Vickers production and delivery dates being so sporadic, I started a tally a couple of years ago of those I've seen, and of those which collectors had acquired. One of the more common dates is '8-18', of which I have a further two... thinking initially that they may be either a 3, 6, or 9. Detailed inspection has proved them to '8'.

It bears the date stamp for February 1918, and a re-issue date of 1925.  It came without a scabbard but I found a teardrop

stud, 3 rivet example to house it.  (edit to say I can now see from my notes, that it actually came in this scabbard).

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

41 minutes ago, sgt-maj said:

SgtMaj,

Here are a few more, with the source included to help avoid duplicates.

V1 8  '18            s.a. militaria

V2 8  '18            bayo-wolf

V3 8  '18            Old-Steel

V4 4  '18            Stede*

V5 10 '17(???)   Terrylee*

V6 12 '18           Terrylee*

V7  9  '18           unknown

V8  xx  '18          mickjames*

V9  11  '18         JMB*

V10 8  '18          tisroc

* = on GWF

Others on eBay etc

Regards,

JMB

Just to add to the database, mine is a 9-17...pics of mine and also mike’s on this thread here.

Edited by Dave66

Sgt- Maj, how are you doing this?!? Are you some sort of Vickers magnet?

'JMB1943'... Thank you for that listing which confirms my findings about the '8-18' stamping. It's also quite interesting to that your listing is predominant for '1918'.

'Dave66'... The article you include looks to be quite interesting (having read a couple of entries). I'll most certainly be reading it in full over the weekend.

'NorthStaffsPOW'... I think it's just that I seem to have a nack of seeking them out. I do however have a spare two Vickers... as I mentioned earlier. I hope to be using these as trade in future.

SAM_9594.JPG

Edited by sgt-maj