Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reminder: FindMyPast free access weekend 08-11/11/2019

TGM

Reminder: FindMyPast free access weekend 08-11/11/2019

image.png.2794986b0556a5da1ce3faf25e040674.png

"including all of our First World War records, so that everyone has the chance to trace their family this Remembrance weekend. From 12:00 7th November to 12:00 10th of November (GMT), you can explore our historical records completely free of charge. Build your free family tree and find out what your family were doing in World War 1 - and beyond." 

Also suggestions of a webinar on Saturday 8/11 15:00 according to the Guildford FindMyPast page:

image.png.a968f0bc036314a6d35f1e6cf7b790ae.png

Thanks TGM.

That is most excellent I do like "Find My Past" as I can usually get some good results from their site.

Incidentally "Ancestry" has started their "Free" offer right now. ( I am usually disappointed with their stuff )

Good Evening

Please note that the FMP free weekend excludes the following records as shown below:-

All newspapers

The Periodical Source Index (PERSI)

UK Electoral Registers & Companies House Directors 2002-2019

The list has been taken from the FAQ found at the bottom of the linked page

regards

Indefatigable

so its a "freeish" on fmp and ancestry this weekend - still thats good for picking out extra info as the war diaries on ancestry are accessible :thumbsup:

Edited by Coldstreamer
grammar!

Any one else having issues - as soon as I click to see a transcription or an original document on FMP it takes me to the subscription page.

I then tried the 1939 National Register for a couple of my names who survived the Great War, just in case it was a Military sources only issue. However while it displays the names in response to a query, it then tells me I have to "unlock the household" to see more - an action which takes me to the subscription page!

I have access to FMP at the local library if I need it, and 1939 I can see on Ancestry with their free weekend. For me it was a chance to combine the best of both websites in one sitting.

Hope others are having more luck,

Peter

20 hours ago, TGM said:

From 12:00 7th November to 12:00 10th of November (GMT)

Dates from the original post - just realised it's at odds with whats on the screen capture.

Should also have been alerted by the reference to a Webinar on Saturday 8th November - D'oh !

Cheers,

Peter

Just to say that Findmypast have just added 'The Great War: I Was There', the weekly magazine of WWI photos and reminiscences edited by Sir John Hammerton which ran for 51 editions from Sept 29,1938 to Sept 19, 1939. Some of the articles were excerpts from books but there were also many original contributions, plus additional correspondence from veterans.

The version on FMP has a search facility but you have to go to each page and check the pdf, which is slightly laborious. However this is still an extremely useful source. Hopefully they will also digitise 'Twenty Years After', another publication which covered similar ground.

John