Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Busby DSM RNAS & RAF Why awarded DSM (1917) and Court Martialled 1922

Clive ex RAF plumber

25 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

An unclear entry but in full may read   -   "GNP./R.P. 2544 Marine Services with engt."

My interpretation of this is the the Naval Personnel (NP) Division of the Admiralty provided details of his former RMLI service to be filed with his new RN engagement papers as F.18555 in the RNAS. That is my best guess. I see no GNR to suggest a link with aerial gunnery. I would further note that entries in the Remarks column are not associated or linked to the other entries - in this case to the first record entry dated 20 July 1916. Rather it appears to be linked, by the two 'crossed tick" marks, to an entry further down the pag under BADGES

On transfer to the RAF in April 1918 his RNAS engagement papers were sent to the RAF (see final Remarks entry - almost unreadable - "Engt to RAF".)

Thank you so much for the information you have supplied and the time you have taken to assist me on this matter.  Your knowledge on the RN / RNAS is beyond belief.  Thanks once again Kind Regards Clive

The linked BADGES entry records that the two Good Conduct Badges earned in the RMLI were transferred onto his RNAS account

3 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

The linked BADGES entry records that the two Good Conduct Badges earned in the RMLI were transferred onto his RNAS account

Thanks Horatio2, It just makes you wonder what on earth he did in Iraq, although the conditions there were supposedly horrendous and drove a lot of good men over the edge. Regards Clive