Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

58th Infantry in the Great War & Call. Forest F Woods

I was looking for years trying to find info on my great uncle CPL. Forest Floyd Woods.

In 1964  color 8mm movie film was taken of my self at 12 years of age with Forest at his home on  NE 43rd street in Portland Oregon.

I remember vividly he showing the scar from a bullet wound received on August 6, 1918 near the village and district of Fere de Bois

from a German machine gun just above his right elbow.

Only very recently did I learn be was shot twice at the same time.the other wound in his left hip.

What is amazing is that he survived and was "medevaced" so to speak and was shipped out on the s.s. Washington to New Jersey and later to his first wife Mamie Ryan in Portland, Oregon .He later married Clara Nelson in Vancouver Washington.

I remember Forest well, always with a quiet cheerfulness and subtle sense of humour.

If anyone can enlighten me on particulars of the experiences of the 2 Battalion  58th Inf. I would very much appreciate it.

Finally, I recall Forest stating that he ..." Really saw little of France...as they usually marched us at night..."

References:  see attached photo referencing the Hathi Trust Digital Library  on the units history. It is an online free digital copy with great day by day detail of the units movements and sacrifice.

15731097445152417102862660847966.jpg

I found some info...Corporal Forrest F. Woods was in Company M of the 58th Infantry Regiment, his service number was 2267479. He was on the Themistocles as it left New York for France on May 11, 1918 and came home on the USS George Washington which left Brest for Camp Merritt via Hoboken on March 16, 1919.

The 58th Infantry History is stashed in several libraries across the U.S., hopefully one is near you and you can start reading!