Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery painting of a cemetery neat the sea

sioux how

I have a mystery painting I would  like some help with.

The large round framed watercolour is of a CWWG cemetery with the sea in the background. The cross of sacrifice is clearly seen with a figure of a woman standing looking at it. The picture is dated 1923 and signed A.R.J.M.

Any ideas of the artist and the possible cemetery?

There is a framers sticker on the back from St Omer.

Thank you

IMG_8972.jpg

IMG_8973.jpg

IMG_8976.jpg

IMG_8977.jpg

IMG_8979.JPG

• Admin

I wouldn’t overlook St Omer 

The Cross of Sacrifice at Etaples is part of Lutyens monumental structure, whereas at St Omer it is approached by a concrete path or ‘runway’, and stands in isolation.  It is reasonably close to the river to the East.

https://www.ww1cemeteries.com/longuenesse-st-omer-souvenir-cemetery.html

Ken

I would have gone with Etaples.... it is the first name that cam into my head on seeing the painting.  Not that my first thoughts accounts for much at all for I thought that England were going to win the World Cup! (they were damn good anyway)

• Admin

Another vote for Etaples. Although the approach to the cross is now grass, it could well have been paved initially. 

Michelle 

I don't think you would see the river/canal at Longuenesse from that viewpoint but artistic licence may allow it. Ill check next weekend.

George

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 22:46, kenf48 said:

I wouldn’t overlook St Omer 

the cross in st Omer is surrounded by graves and the orientation of the "wall" around it is wrong.

And St Omer is nowhere near dunes and sea!

so I'm definitely for Etaples too.

From an artistic point of view, Etaples as the cemetery in the dunes also makes more sense… it was (and still is), a popular haunt for artists.

etapkes.jpg.9a95a4338ab4bb4f9ce3efe862903abe.jpg

M.

I believe that there is little doubt that the cemetery is Etaples Military Cemetery. This view is just a slightly different angle and the artist's rendition of the pathway is explained on the IWGC "Final Record As Constructed" drawing now indexed at CWGC as E34-003 in that the pathway between the hardstanding beside the cross and the hardstanding at the entrance beside the road was laid with "gravel". That gravel section is now laid to grass.

438128039_EtaplesMilitaryCemetery.jpg.5fa6927781713d7925c7bca83ddef36f.jpg

You are all amazing- I did originally think Etaples  but was confused by the strip of land rather than open sea. Particularly interesting is the fact that what is now grass was once gravel. I have taken an extra picture to show what could be the graves on left hand side. Looking at the painting against Frajohn's photograph it certainly does look like Etaples.

I assume that there are no visitors books in existence from 1924, I believe none were kept. It would be perfect to now discover who the artist was.

Thank you all so much.

IMG_9004.jpg