Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Bn (Pioneers) York and Lancaster Regiment Redesignation Query

Gunner R.A.

I have just been looking at the above battalion and noticed some discrepancies with regards to the date of its redesignation to a Pioneer Battalion and also which Infantry Brigade it was originally with.

Looking at Atteridge’s “A History of the 17th (Northern) Division” it states on page 25 that the redesignation took place in January 1915. However, the page for the York and Lancaster Regiment on the LLT states that this took place in March 1915.

Also on the latter page, it states that at the time of the battalion’s formation in August 1914 that it came under the orders of the 51st Infantry Brigade, however on the LLT’s page for the 17th Division it has the battalion originally with the 50th Infantry Brigade.

Could anyone please give me a categorical answer as to the month in which the battalion was redesignated and to which Infantry Brigade it originally belonged to.

Any help appreciated,

Regards,

Pete.

British Regiments 1914-1918 by Brigadier E A James state the battalion become Pioneers in March 1915 

it was originally in the 50th Brigade, 17th Division 

The war diary of the battalion should have something in it, have you looked

Westlake’s ‘Kitcheners Army’ also states that the battalion became the divisional pioneers during March 1915

J

Reading from the "History of the 7th Service Battalion, The York and Lancaster Regiment(Pioneers)" by Michael Gilvary for the 7th York and Lancaster Regimental Association 1921.

Jan 1915 each division started forming Pioneer Battalions and the 7th Y&L where so chosen and commenced training, also officers with special skills where drafted in.

I suppose later in the month and February and into March further equipment where obtained.

It was during March that the officers where taken out into the countryside, where they solved tactical problems that was to stand them in good stead when they eventually went abroad.

Unfortunately the book does not state any Brigade numbers, I will have to look again at my granddads service record to see If any Brigades are mentioned, yes he was in the 7th Y&L from the start.

Cheers Roger. 

Thats interesting Roger, thanks for taking the time to reply. What you state seems to be more in line with the 17th Divisions history. However i surmise that whilst the formation began in January the actual redesignation did not occur until March.

Just out of interest Roger, does Gilvary's History mention anything for the 20th of April 1917 when the battalion was working in the vicinity of Arras, other than what is mentioned in the battalion war diary that is?,

regards,

Pete.