Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Here's one to test the skill of readers

DCLI

I recently bought John Bagot Glubb's WW1 Diary 'Into Battle' second-hand for a few pounds.

There is a signature in it.

This book was first published in 1978, the year of the signature.

Perhaps I am being too fanciful/hopeful but could it be John Glubb's signature? It looks the type of signature that someone has developed to sign quickly - like an authour at a book signing.

Does anyone have or know what John Glubb's signature looks like?

Thanks

post-22-1107642397.jpg

Think you can safely say no-one but the author would sign their name so large and right across the title page !! I imagine the date was written by the recipient so they would remember.

Good buy then !!

Jim

Yes it does, upside down!!

Roop

No, right side up!

Roberto :P

OK RobbieGal, you win.

Nice book if you can get hild of a copy, John Glubb relates a very good acount but more interestingly shows the gentleman he was.

Roop

It looks like the writer was just testing the biro before writing the date. Sorry

Looks like an ink pen though, not a biro :P

It is an ink pen.

I don't think anyone would test a pen on that page like that. I would think they would test it 'offsite' so to speak.

It is hardback, with dust cover, in good condition and it cost me £5.50 plus postage and in my mind it is now signed by the author. Having just bought it I don't intend selling it anyway.

Many thanks for all your comments

DCLI

Going off topic a while, surely the best find my other 'arf (former RAux AF officer) and I got was from a (very) expensive book dealer's junk bin at a fair; a copy of MRAF Sir John Slessor's 'The Central Blue'. Quite ratty condition, but all the pages and not torn. D/J present, but ripped badly. Not a rare book. £1.50.

But.... on the front: (I paraphrase, it's not in front of me) "To Douggie, Best Wishes JS" ... signature up to' DC Evill'

A copy from Slessor himself, to ACM Sir Douglas Evill, SASO Fighter Command 1940.... (Michael Redgrave in the flick Battleof Britain)

I think we'll keep that one..

Not quite as good as that. But many years ago in the (now gone) famous second-hand book shop of Throrpes, in Guildford, I found a Copy of Naked Island signed by Russell Braddon - and I didn't buy it.

I once bought a 1st edn of 'The First 100,000' by Ian Hay, signed by the author using his real name (Ian Hay Beath) which had escaped the notice of the Brighton bookshop owner!

DCLI

It is John Glubb's signature. I just saw two letters signed by him today at an antiques fair If not readable, it's very distinctive. I have a copy of Into Battle as well. A really good read. You can trace his movements on a 1:50,000 map.

Terry Reeves