Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submarines

Oldmother

Hi,

I have been researching my Great Grandfathers service during WW1. His name was Sidney Herbert Shergold. This is him and some copies of his service record and an object which was stored with them. I have always understood that he was in submarines ( the picture was always on the wall ) but I'm not sure whether the names listed are the submarines or the depot ships ? Can someone help me please ? Or point me towards where I could confirm.

Thank you

Old mother IMG_7865.JPG.03ef297cbe175a743b5e200d2e9dabdc.JPG

IMG_7864.jpg

IMG_7866.JPG

IMG_7867.JPG

IMG_7875.JPG

IMG_7877.jpg

IMG_7983.JPG

You might find this previous thread of interest.  I see HMS. Dolphin, Victory and Vulcan listed in your photographs.  There is also a HMS. Vernon there, this was the training base (Shore Establishment) for Torpedo and Mine warfare during WWI.  Most British submarines were numbered rather than named, with their class letter followed by its number.  The above picture of a submarine, looks to me like the B class, but someone more knowledgable in submarines may correct me there.

Hope you find this useful.

Cheerio,

Caleb

Also, on the first document, under the listing HMS. Dolphin and next to HMS. Vulcan there is S/M H23.  I assume this refers to a submarine he served on.  H23 was a British H class submarine built by Vickers limited, as part of Batch-3.  She was laid down March 3, 1918 and commissioned on May 25, 1918, with a complement of 22.

Cheerio,

Caleb

The submarine on the plaque thing could be a 'C' class which(with the Bs) tended to be used for coastal defence purposes in WWI. I don't know what the tally stick thing is for.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Sidney's service papers can also be found on Ancestry 

HERE   HERE and HERE   if you a subscriber

the 2nd and 3rd link refer to his post war service and service in 1940

dolphin.JPG.ffbed797dc311b067a013ee75f41e66a.JPG

Here above is an enlarged section of the first service record 

showing the submarines Dolphin  (C17) and Fearless (K6)

Old mother

Google is your friend if you enter the ships names or bases on the documents you have' preceded by Royal Navy  or variations in Google search this  will  reveal a lot of information on the units 

Over to our naval experts

Ray

Edited by RaySearching

Welcome to the GWF, Oldmother.

Just looking at his WW1 drafts, his Certificate of Service and the ADM 188 ledger record posted by Ray at Post #5 are almost identical, except for the period 25/4/1917 to 4/6/1917. His Certificate of Service shows him drafted to HMS FEARLESS, whereas the Kew extract shows him in HMS SANDHURST. I am inclined to say the former is correct and the ADM 188 ledger record is in error. HMS FEARLESS was a submarine depot ship, whereas HMS SANDHURST was a destroyer depot ship and Grand Fleet repair ship at Scapa Flow.

HMS DOLPHIN was the submarine base and depot ship at Gosport. During his time in HMS C,17 she was based on HMS ARROGANT, the depot ship of 14th Submarine Flotilla at Dover. When serving in HMS K.6 she was based on HMS FEARLESS, the depot ship of  12th Submarine Flotilla at Rosyth. During his time in HMS H.23 she was based first on HMS ALECTO, depot ship of the 8th Submarine Flotilla at Yarmouth and then on HMS VULCAN, depot ship of Submarine Flotilla XIV at Blyth.

Vulcan and her brood at Blyth, 1919. H23 is there

Blyth Vulcan and boats.jpg

Hi,

this Scapa-entry might be correct, as K 6 was still not commissioned until May 1917 and was listed as equipping at Portsmouth in 1916 and under XII. Flotilla at Scapa in 1917.

I also know (source might be homewater telegrams at Kew, not sure?) that K 6 left Scapa Flow on 22.06.1917 11.50 p.m., destination unknown to me yet. I haven't seen K 6's logbooks for 1917.

Oliver

He was only serving in K.6 3 Feb to 28 Mar 1917, so he was possibly part of the acceptance crew prior to her commissioning.

The Pink List for 1 Jan 1917 shows K.6 in VI Submarine Flotilla, Portsmouth, Submarine Flotillas (Dover).

The Pink List for 30 June 1917 shows K.6 in 12th Submarine Flotilla, Rosyth, Grand Fleet - depot ship HMS FEARLESS. She was still XII Flotilla at Rosyth on 2 January 1918

This link gives a commissioning date of February 1917 - http://britsub.x10.mx/html/boats/experimental/ex_k6.html  This date ties in with the man's draft to K.6 on 3 Feb 1917.

Edited by horatio2

Digging a bit deeper into K.6, the ADM 196 record of Cdr Geoffrey Layton RN has: FEARLESS additional for K.6 in command on commisioning 12/16. He was promoted to Commander (in command) on 31 December 1916. He had earlier been appointed DOLPHIN additional for K.6 on 8 December 916.

Lt Cdr Layton had previously brought K.7 into service - DOLPHIN additional for K.7 on 15 November 1916 and FEARLESS additional for K.7 in command on commisioning 11/16.

It would appear, therefore, that K.6 was at Rosyth with 12th Flotilla from late December 1916 and K.7 in the same flotilla a month earlier.

As an aside, Layton had a long and sitinguished career in both World Wars - http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/Geoffrey_Layton

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me everyone, they say every day is a school day and I'm loving learning about submarines. I found another image on google of H23. The family legend was that great granddad was burnt at Scapa flow and I can see that he had a burn injury in Sept 17 but I think that must have later at Dover with C17.

Does anyone have any idea what the little row of wooden blocks with x's and numbers on might be ?

As an aside and not strictly WW1 Sid wrote an account of his time on HMS Exmouth 1907 to 1909. I have the journal which is fascinating. He went to the Canadian 300th anniversary, was there for the murder of the king of Portugal, went to Ireland, Malta, Gibraltar  and joined the Messina rescue - all before going to war. The journal has photos and postcards, covers details of coaling rates and competitions as well as shore leave antics. He was recorded as being in the poor house as a young child and joined as a boy probably to see the world and leave poverty behind.  

H23.jpg

If you can find a copy of 'Angels in Blue Jackets' (say, inter-library loan), that will tell you all about the Royal Navy and the Messina earthquake of 1908.

sJ

A vopy of "The K Boats" will tell you all you need to know abut the ill-conceived venture that was the K-class submarines!

Adrian

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 20:52, seaJane said:

If you can find a copy of 'Angels in Blue Jackets' (say, inter-library loan), that will tell you all about the Royal Navy and the Messina earthquake of 1908.

sJ

There is one in Worthing library, thank you, I will pop it on reserve.

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 22:01, J T Gray said:

A copy of "The K Boats" will tell you all you need to know abut the ill-conceived venture that was the K-class submarines!

Adrian

Thank Adrian, they must have been so brave.

The concept of the fleet submarine died hard.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

• 4 weeks later...

In post number 11 it is interesting to note that three of the submarines are flying the White Ensign from both the conning tower and the Ensign Staff on the stern.  The fourth submarine, J9, may well be doing so as well.  It must be for a special occasion as this is unusual practice.  

• 3 weeks later...

The setting is the South Harbour Blyth, the image may mark the 14th Flotilla moving on c January 1919. The fourth submarine is R9.   Only seven 'J' class boats were ever built and all served at Blyth with the 11th Flotilla until I think March 1919.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Agree J9.  My typo!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any idea what the little row of wooden blocks with x's and numbers on might be ?

Tally sticks

The blocks are threaded onto a cut down bicycle spoke and held on by a spoke nipple.